Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Firmware Wish List for K10D/K100D/K110D

Since we already know functionality can be updated and changed, what kind of features/improvements do you wish to see? Hopefully Pentax will hear our voices and maybe implement these ideas.

Looking to compile a list of things that can be changed/added by firmware only, so "Add TTL for flash" is a no no since that requires an additional sensor that our cameras do not have.

For me: Double pressing the "OK" button to return to last defined Auto ISO range would be a welcomed sight.

07-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to see Remote Assistant software support for the K100D. I've heard that it sort of works, but that there are issues, so I haven't bothered with it, yet.

Time-lapse offers so many possibilities. There are probably other ways to do this, but none of them seem like they'd be as "set and forget" the way a Remote Assistant solution would be.

I'm not holding my breath, though, now that the "Super" is out. Even if they added it somewhere, they'd probably add it to the Super.

-Chris
07-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Front/Rear scroll wheel should control exposure compensation in Av/Tv/Sv modes with manual lenses.

Pretty please?
07-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
thoughtfulchaos

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
For me: Double pressing the "OK" button to return to last defined Auto ISO range would be a welcomed sight.
From a directly-selected ISO? Hold OK and press the green button. If you mean cycle back a range, then sure it would be nice.

-Nate

07-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #5

configure the dial to set sensivity in k100d in auto mode(Like the Sv in k10d)
07-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Exposure compensation for "green button" metering when a manual aperture lens is mounted.

(As opposed to having to redial in some EC every time you hit the button.)

Possibly (and I'm not sure if this would work), an approach for manual aperture lenses similar to how SR on manual lenses is performed. User inputs the "wide open" aperture and then sets the camera aperture setting to match the actual ring value. This would in theory the camera to calculate the stopped down exposure based on the "wide open" reading and the aperture setting. In addition to massive convenience improvements it would allow P-TTL operation most likely.
07-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Per-lens front/back focus adjustment...should be easy since a global configuration is in the debug menu already. They also have to add some indicator that this is in effect in case users botch their adjustment and then complain their lens is messed up...

07-27-2007, 05:18 AM   #8

Fix the #$%"$% bug in auto iso-EV compensation in K100D
07-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there was a long wish list discussion back in January. You should perhaps review it.

My comments are based on K10D but many are directly applicable to all cameras back to *istD

For me, the most important issues are related to the green button, and K series lenses.
-I would like a 3rd option, which gave you the metering only, in terms of over/under exposure without changing either the shutter or(for Automatic apature lenses) the apature.
-additionally, in flash mode, I would like the camera to determine the effective apature of the lens, by metering before and after stopping down the lens with the greenbutton, so that the P-TTL flash could then be used.

Other modifications include:
- separate ISO and white balance for each mode,
- the ability to change the 4 character prefix in the image name, so that multiple camera users do not risk duplicate file names.
- addition of a TeleConverter option for setting lens focal length. Presently the teleconverters do not change the reported focal length, therefore shake reduction when using a TC is not set to the correct lens length
- ISO setting to 3200
- power zoom support which was promised but not yet installed
07-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

ohhh, here's one

Automatically switch to manual focus when clicking the shutter to set manual white balance. I'm usually pointing at some featureless white surface, so there's nothing for the autofocus to work with. Setting wb is fiddly enough as it is with the buttons and menu selections required; this part at least could be done automatically.
07-31-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

K10D:

For jpg mode in special instances when faster workflow is needed with no time to post process:

User defeatable (able to be turned completely off as it is now) CHROMA noise reduction choices in the menu by adjusting current algorithms

Custom menu option for type of sharpening 1) Default (dark side sharpening as it is now)
2) Edge Sharpening (USM)

Either type being user defeatable, and user adjustable with the current slider.

If any of these choices slows down the 3 frames per second, let a warning appear, as some will have more need for the 3 frames per second.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If not hardware related, solve VPN rather than dismissing it just to fix it in the next model.

Larry
08-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #12

i am using k10d with 18-55 kit lens
i ve already mailed few issues that i am very upset to the pentax customer support
the answers were so stupid and irrevelant

what i asked is
1) i want to shoot directly black&white or sephia vs...
2) i want interval shooting inside the camera not in the remote asistant
3) i want to see exactly the percantage left on my battery

i mailed if they can be added with the next firmware
you never want to know the answers

so i am not optimistic being supportive on pentax anymore
just i will use my camera and not going to invest more lenses or flashes
08-08-2007, 01:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

for K100D and *Ist DS as well:

-flash compensation in Fn/flash menu (other flash settings from K10D Fn/menu would be nice as well)
-Switch to spot mettering by pressing OK button, switch back by pressing it again.
08-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughtfulchaos Quote
From a directly-selected ISO? Hold OK and press the green button. If you mean cycle back a range, then sure it would be nice.

-Nate
Thanks, didn't know about that.

Another request, a global metering adjuster, so we can set it the metering to over-expose or under-expose compared to the factory defaults that affects all shooting modes.
08-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #15

For the K100D, an option for RAW+JPG