Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Do you ever get a virus warning when downloading pictures?

Avast anti-virus alerted me my .jpg images were viruses when I imported them from the k-x. Anyone ever seen this? Thank you.

04-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you've used your SD card with devices other than your camera prior to formatting it, then this is likely an error.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unless you've used your SD card with devices other than your camera prior to formatting it, then this is likely an error.
Or your SD card was infected at the factory in China.
04-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I use Avast and never get errors, so it's definitely not an issue that affects everyone. So I'd be inclined to take the warning seriously, and look into whether the card really is infected.

04-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

JPEG is not executable neither have any executable code so IMO there is no possibility of virus in there. However, it's possible that some malformed header can cause target program to crash but never seen any such case with jpg. Anyway, would love to see if you can share one of these unedited file
05-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never, but I don't run a virus scanner

If you take your SD card to a printshop, you have a good chance that your card gets infected. Happened a couple of times to me.
05-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #7

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I use Avast as well and have never had this happen. I always update the software to the latest version but never had anything like this happen.
Do a virus scan on the card and it might be able to fix it maybe?
05-01-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Every time after downloading the contents (and backing them up) I reformat the cards.

05-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #9

never had it happen... reformat the card is prob the best solution...

for the rest of the computer i'd run a full scan with Malwarebytes (DL the free version)
and then DL avast at avast! - Download Free Antivirus Software or Internet Security if you are real paranoid run malware bytes in safe mode (without networking) after it's been updated then do a boot scan with avast.

yes i'm a geek and I work for a computer/internet company haha