Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I am lucky enough to own both a K-X and a K-7. I like them both, and for different reasons.
I'm also lucky to have both cameras and they somewhat frustrate me because if the K-7 had the K-x sensor for high ISO it would be near perfect. Why the frustration? because in low-light, I need the K-7 controls: TAv is not available on the K-x and it makes its high ISO performance less effective. And the K-7 AF in low-light under Tungsten is just much more accurate. I can focus at f/1.8 with FA77 and get perfect focus with the K-7, I can't with as much consistence with the K-x.

Other than the sensor, the K-7 is just better in every way, except size and weight. The list of features over the K-x is just too long to list. It really worth double the K-x price IMHO. At under 1000$ it's certainly a great bargain, as much as the K-x is in its class.

So, get the K-7 if high ISO is not that important. With the current prices, the resale value should be good even in one or two years. So if something new is released you can always sell the K-7 at a good price.

05-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I would be contrary here and say that if video is not so important, buy a used K100D Super. It is an excellent camera and if you can get it for a couple hundred, an incredible deal. Learn what you like and don't like while saving money on either of the current models. Then, when you know what you like and need, upgrade to the body that suits you.

In the meantime you'll have more money for glass, which is the real thing.
I think that Robin may have a very nice strategy here. Pay the least amount for a very competent camera, and either buy lenses and/or save money for the body upgrade.

The K100DS is a great camera, with a classic of a sensor (6MP Sony) that will give you very good performance, while allowing you to get a feel for what you need in your next body. It will also probably be inexpensive enough that you probably won't feel the need to sell it to finance your body upgrade, and you'll have a great small, light backup body.

Personally, I have some pretty specific performance requirements as mainly a birder, so my primary bodies for this are a K-7 and K20 (I carry two bodies and lenses most of the time), but the K100DS can certainly hold its own, especially IQ-wise. I usually opt for the speed and convenience of the newer models, but still pick up the K100DS for the smaller, lighter, less expensive body for any number of reasons. My K100DS is actually my newest body -- couldn't resist a brand new one @$200 during the Ritz store closings --

For a couple of hundred bucks -- hard to go wrong -- then either of the new bodies (presently the Kx or K-7, and who knows what the fall will bring. . .) will be a very significant upgrade in just about all parameters of performance and IQ. . . With a camera already in your hands, and some experience behind you, you'll be better equipped to make the decision of what is really important to you, and the style of shooting that you develop. . . plus you'll be more able to take your time and wait for the right deal. . .

Good luck in your choice. . .

Scott