Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread

Camera Bag
Posted By: FragileBird, 06-14-2012, 06:13 PM

I was curious as to what camera bags you all use/recommend.

I'm looking for a bag were I can easily access what I need to but can carry a nice amount of stuff. Like say 2 cameras, one digital and one 35mm along with 6-8 lenses. 2 of which can be on the camera. Also things like filters, hoods and maybe a tripod, but that's not a must.

I've tried going to Dodd and either they didn't have something with what I have in mind, or the price was $300. Which seems like you could make something for that or just buy a new lens of something else.
Views: 13,506
06-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #16

Original Poster
I actually was looking into that cannon bag at first, but a friend of mine has it and says for what I'd like to do it isn't convenient at all. Works for storing stuff but out in the moment it doesn't allow easy access.

Someone mentioned the lowepro sling 302 and thats what I currently have my eye on. Carry two cameras and some lense + extras.

06-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i use the Lowepro Fastpack 350, and i'm very satisfied with it.
i can hold a lot of stof, also my sigma 135-400 mounted on the camera - that's really nice.
On top of that, it has space for a laptop, a lot of space in the top department, where i often have some extra clothe, lunch etc.
When you walk around, you can even use it as a slingbag with easy access without having to take of the backpack.

Lowepro | Fastpack

Last edited by NKK; 06-21-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Link
06-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Bags are best chosen for specific purposes - as you accumulate them match them to specific situations, or rather put together a list of your most frequent shooting situation and then find a bag that matches that role (A bit like camera lenses).

Everyday carry around, bush hike, sports event, jaunt from vehicle on road trip, third world tourist, all have their priorities and needs. I have 3 or 4 to choose from and two have inserts to keep things from abrading one another so are not dedicated camera bags. As OP said in first post - it is possible to cobble something together that works for you and save yourself the big bucks.
06-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Bags are best chosen for specific purposes - as you accumulate them match them to specific situations, or rather put together a list of your most frequent shooting situation and then find a bag that matches that role (A bit like camera lenses).
Boo Yah! I have five that I use regularly.
1. Inconspicuous: K-x with 40mm & Raynox in a belt pack (i.e. fanny pack, waist pack).
2. Grab & go: K20D with 18-135: In a WR messenger bag
3. Compact & capable: K20D with three lenses or two lenses with flash. My most used system, lots of scope depending on lens choice
4. Event photography: K20D with 18-135, K-x with prime, spare primes. flash & flash bracket
5. Carry-all: K20D & K-x with several primes & a couple of zooms, including supertele: Hiking, nature, landscape, wildlife, etc

When I travel I either bring #3 or #5. If I bring #5, I also bring a smaller bag.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-21-2012 at 06:24 PM.
08-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #20

One bag for all occaisions - it's a myth- urban legend!!!

I have three that seem to work for me.
#1 fanny pack/ waste pack by lowepro - light and quick easy access - 2 side pouches for extra lens - a great bag, had it for 10+ years, waterproof
#2 "Blacks Photography" slingpack cheap/ generic black, water resistant cordura with rain cover, medium size, holds lots, camera w/ battery grip + 2 or 3 lenses + filter system, + charger and extra batteries, memory cards, etc.
#3 Lowepro AW 200 - got it on a clearance sale for half price, Holds everything but the the tripods,Solid protection, great for the car when travelling.

I find that having the sling pack and the AW200 is the best combination. You can stuff the sling pack anywhere - under the seat if need be and just load it up with what you "need" for that afternoon. Too many people think they need everything with them in every situation. Less is more sometimes and your back/ shoulders will thank you. Proper lens selection is very important.

A quick story - Went on a planned group hike - saw two different people with backpacks on that looked like they could spend a week in the woods with something that size. I then realized thay were camera backpacks. It was winter and the trail was well packed but one step either side of the main trail and you were in 3 feet of snow. The best shots were off trail so..........remember the little kid on the way to school in the winter with everything they owned in their back pack well can you say "I've fallen and I can't get up!!!!" Needless to say I had a good laugh to myself as these two turkeys tried to get all there stuff in and out of the bag while the wildlife was running away. I got some awesome shots of spruce grouse, pine martin, grey jays, squirrels and chipmunks while I'm sure they got went knees and a sore back.
08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #21

Original Poster
I was orgingally looking at a lowpro I think the 250? or 350? I can't remember. I just want something for My k-30 with the 18-135 and my k1000se with a few lenses. Of course to be able to have filters, cleaning, film, battery packs things of that nature.

I've been using a shoulder bag (nikon) which holds the k30 and the filters and I have an over shoulder for the k1000 with a bunch of lenses and film crammed into it.
I like the accessibility of the shoulder bag to just grab filters and change them out (and access 1/2 future lenes) but having to carry two shoulder bags gets in the way of switching lenes for the k1000.
My friend hates his backpack and idk if a "messenger" bag will solve what I want to do/carry.
08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FragileBird Quote
I like the accessibility of the shoulder bag to just grab filters and change them out (and access 1/2 future lenes) but having to carry two shoulder bags gets in the way of switching lenes for the k1000.
My friend hates his backpack and idk if a "messenger" bag will solve what I want to do/carry.
Two bodies plus a couple of lenses is a lot for a messenger bag. It can fit in my Think Tank Perspective 30, but the weight can be painful if you're carrying for any length of time. A backpack is best for comfort, a messenger bag is best for access. IME, the best compromise for both access and carrying comfort is a sling bag.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-21-2012 at 04:35 AM.
08-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FragileBird Quote
I was orgingally looking at a lowpro I think the 250? or 350?
I love my Lowpro Fastpack 350. You can access your camera and 2 lenes with the sling bag feature and three more compartments if you open it up all the way. The interesting thing is that I have never needed to put my laptop in the laptop section but I use the section a ton to carry things I want to keep flat (Flash bounce cards, Flash guide tables I printed out, etc.).

Tim
08-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no one bag which will do everything you want.

My all-day, all-weather event kit consists of no real bag at all:
• a BlackRapid DR-2 double sling with two K-5's (using two WR zooms as "body caps")
• a LowePro S&F belt system with five different WR modules housing filters, flash, fast telezoom, fisheye zoom and three fast primes, with room to spare for my K-01 as a backup.

At the other extreme, my minimalist kit is a small shoulder case (designed for an early, large-lensed Sony Cybershot – long since binned), which fits the K-01 with up to four little primes.
08-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I love my Lowpro Fastpack 350. You can access your camera and 2 lenes with the sling bag feature and three more compartments if you open it up all the way. The interesting thing is that I have never needed to put my laptop in the laptop section but I use the section a ton to carry things I want to keep flat (Flash bounce cards, Flash guide tables I printed out, etc.).

Tim
+1 to this - i am very happy for my Fastpack 350 too.
I use it for day hiking too, with space for water and a little food in the top compartment, raincoat strapped on the outside.
I sometimes bring a netbook in the laptop section, otherwise i carry maps, or documents when traveling (great for carryon in the airplane too)
01-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #26

Which 1 body + 1 lens + 1 flash bag?

Many years ago I got some extra monies and I bought two pricey LowePro bags from Henry's:
LowePro Commercial AW and LowePro Toploader 75 AW.
Both bags are staying in the cupboard since then, never used (I am thinking about selling them).
They are huge, much bigger in reality than I expected from the www site pictures.
Commercial AW bag is too big and to cumbersom to take it to the field on your shoulder, but to small to replace 2-3 big cupboard drawers filled with gear.
Toploader AW is too huge for APS-C body, seems to be right size for the FF body (which I do not own since my biggest body was Canon T90, then Pentax K10D with battery pack) with battery pack attached.
Fortunatelly I also got small Tamrac backpack fitting one body (Praktica BC1 or Canon A-1 that time) with lens and extra 4 prime lenses or 2-3 primes and full-size flash (like 299T).
The disadvantage of backpack is obvious: you have very slow access to your gear.
So for now I am looking for the smallest well-padded (journeys, transits) bag, holster type preferably, which 'consumes' K-3 +with RRS L-Plate + SMC DA* f2.8/16-50mm with lens hood attached (!)+ AF540FGZ flash, which is a gear I use most of the time (I mean 1 body + 1 lens, might be also DA* f2.8/50-135mm + 1 flash, dot), your advice is welcome.
In the meantime I learned that Canon EG series bags (I guess C. EG bag series has zippers more or less dust and moisture-proof when compared to flip-top C. DG bag series) are roughly 3x cheaper when compared to 'bag brands' bags (LowePro, Domke, etc), so I ordered C. 200EG Backpack at Amazon (yet to arrive) for $38 shipped which sounds reasonable.

Last edited by Prakticant; 01-06-2015 at 08:38 AM.
08-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #27
pxt

I think Peak Design is new and fresh type to check:
05-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #28

I use a LowePro Nova 190 AW shoulder bag that I bought at a local camera shop for about $100.00. I don't make long hikes so a shoulder bag, even loaded, works fine for me. Mine is loaded, holding:

Pentax K-70 w/ Pentax-DA 18-270mm walking-around lens and RC2 quick-release plate
Charger and spare battery
Tabletop tripod w/ RC2 clamp
Speedlight w/ diffuser softbox
Lens cleaning supplies
4 Tiffen filter pouches holding polarizer, 2 sepia filters, and 11 colored filters for monochrome photos (2 filter slots open at the moment)
DIY filter flip book
DIY K-70 L-bracket
Remote wireless trigger
Spare batteries for speedlight and wireless trigger
ColorChecker Passport
Manuals for camera body, lens, and speedlight
Kodak Professional Photoguide, 5th Edition
Handbook of Kodak Photographic Filters, 1990 edition
Modified plastic 35mm film canister holding 4 desiccant capsules
05-25-2019, 03:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Any type of fishing bag will do.