Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Camera Bag
Posted By: FragileBird, 06-14-2012, 06:13 PM

I was curious as to what camera bags you all use/recommend.

I'm looking for a bag were I can easily access what I need to but can carry a nice amount of stuff. Like say 2 cameras, one digital and one 35mm along with 6-8 lenses. 2 of which can be on the camera. Also things like filters, hoods and maybe a tripod, but that's not a must.

I've tried going to Dodd and either they didn't have something with what I have in mind, or the price was $300. Which seems like you could make something for that or just buy a new lens of something else.
Views: 8,030
06-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How large and strong are you? Do you have a good chiropractor? Overstuffed camera bags are a chiropractor's friends. Do you want an easy-access shoulder or sling bag, or will you have time to root around in a backpack? Do you want a bag that screams I'M A TOGGER? Will you actually be schlepping the bag a lot, or will it mainly ride in a vehicle? Do you need waterproof, thief-proof, impulse-shooting-proof?

I have various bags. My carry-bag is an teardrop sling-back Ameribag suitable for K20D, a few tiny lenses, and a few not-tiny lenses, as well as passport, pills, kite, tools, etc. My Domke F2 bag is mostly for the car's back seat, loaded with extra lenses and body and accessories. My Tamrac Expedition 3 pack holds flash gear and chargers as needed. I haven't yet had to fill my trail backpack -- dog, that would be heavy! And I've avoided chiropractors for years!
06-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
How large and strong are you? Do you have a good chiropractor? Overstuffed camera bags are a chiropractor's friends. Do you want an easy-access shoulder or sling bag, or will you have time to root around in a backpack? Do you want a bag that screams I'M A TOGGER? Will you actually be schlepping the bag a lot, or will it mainly ride in a vehicle? Do you need waterproof, thief-proof, impulse-shooting-proof?

I have various bags. My carry-bag is an teardrop sling-back Ameribag suitable for K20D, a few tiny lenses, and a few not-tiny lenses, as well as passport, pills, kite, tools, etc. My Domke F2 bag is mostly for the car's back seat, loaded with extra lenses and body and accessories. My Tamrac Expedition 3 pack holds flash gear and chargers as needed. I haven't yet had to fill my trail backpack -- dog, that would be heavy! And I've avoided chiropractors for years!

haha I can imagine that they would be!

I'm not looking to over stuff. I'd prefer a sling for easy access over a backpack, but seeing as I want to carry around 2 cameras, that doesn't seem possible from what I've looked at? I'd be lugging the whole lot around when I go out and walk around places when I can.

Maybe I just need to look into two bags? One to hold everything, lenses, filters, + extra's and another to just snag what I need?
06-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
gtl
Veteran Member

I use a Billingham. Pricey but no regrets at all. It would outlast many cameras. I carry 2 cameras and 5 lenses, 4 primes and a zoom.

06-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FragileBird Quote
I was curious as to what camera bags you all use/recommend.

I'm looking for a bag were I can easily access what I need to but can carry a nice amount of stuff. Like say 2 cameras, one digital and one 35mm along with 6-8 lenses. 2 of which can be on the camera. Also things like filters, hoods and maybe a tripod, but that's not a must.
My Think Tank Streetwalker carries a K20D and K-x, DA 15 & 40mm Ltds in their cases, A*300 f4, DA 18-135mm, DA 10-17, D FA 100mm macro, Kenko 1.5X TC, 49mm & 67mm CPL's, spare batteries, accessories (cleaning cloth, memory card, tools, etc), bear deterrent, WR cover, tripod (occasionally) or monopod, and a drink. The lenses all have their proper hoods, plus a large third-party metal hood for the A*300. I can jam my Sigma EF-530 flash in there if needed. I have no discomfort carrying this bag. The down side is clumsy access to the gear. I use this bag for nature photography and for travel. When I travel, I bring a small bag for casual day trips.
Streetwalker? Backpack - Think Tank

I have a Think Tank Perspective 30 messenger style bag that carries almost as much as the Streetwalker, but it is torture to carry for long if it's too loaded. It's set up for event photography, where I can set it down occasionally.
06-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
have a look at Lowepro fastpack 350 aw, a traditional sling like the lowepro 302aw is going to be a shoulder killer for a full day trek imo
06-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Some of my bags are Tamrac, which I really like. However, you should have one bag that holds "everything", and one that hold about 1/2 of it, which is what you load and take for a particular outing.
06-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
Here are a few ideas. Consider a type of backpack that also has wheels, such as...

LowePro Prorunner. Although this one doesn't have the infamous A/W feature. Not quite as nice as one of their classic Nature Trekkers.

Tamrac 697. Works better as a wheeled bag and not qute as comfortable as a real photo backpack. By far the best build of the three I mention here.
For slightly less money (less durable, a bit less on the build quality) the Tamrac 5797

06-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
have a look at Lowepro fastpack 350 aw, a traditional sling like the lowepro 302aw is going to be a shoulder killer for a full day trek imo
I got a 302AW for my trip to New Orleans. It is heavy if you stuff it full but one does not need to do so. I got it as wanted a bag that I can carry my 70-200 2.8 as well as my two cameras and about six lenses. Otherwise I use a Pentax sling bag. In the Pentax I can put in my K-r with a prime lens mounted, the MZ5n without a lens and a fat lens like my wife's Sigma 10-20 in the central portion and in the bottom section there are two dividers so I place my 28, 50 and 17-28 FE plus a stack of filters into there. There is room for at least one more zoom lens or if I fill each of them up to the brim I have room for either a 70-210 F or a Tamron 90 macro. The top section is available for film and there are little pockets for battery and cards. At a club outing people remarked how well laid out it was and that it would hold more than the smaller Lowe Pro sling bags.

one of the advantages of the Lowe Pro sling bag is that you can get small cases that clip into the waist belt for often used lenses.

But for a full day of hiking instead of a day walking taking photos you might want a better pack as far as suspension goes just like Clicker states. But the sling bags are so much handier.

Last edited by redrockcoulee; 06-16-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: corrected model number
06-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kata makes a series that has the ability to slide the wheel system in and out...which makes it like a normal backpack when you are out. I got the one that has an "everyday" section and a camera section, but mainly because I am a girl and need the everyday pouch to serve like my purse when I'm traveling. I have traveled with quite a bit of stuff in it...including the k5 and k20, 16-50, 50, 10-17, and the 60-250. I also usually stuff the flash in there somewhere too. If I had purchased one that didn't have the everyday part I would easily be able to fit your list in. I also like that they have some ring on the arms and a special strap and together you can strap the camera to the backpack. It takes it totally off your neck on a hike, plus I get to have my hands free.
06-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you every one! I'll check out your recommendation and see what could work!

Any plac
e specific or just check em out online and buy on ebay?

Thanks again!
06-18-2012, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

These posts usually end up with a shotgun target load type response as opposed to the sniper bullet that most people are looking for.

The reality is that you will buy a bag that works for the most part for now and then when you get more stuff or different stuff you will need another bag then another until your significant other asks you why you keep buying bags because you already have 2 empty ones in the closet and you have to defend their purpose taking up space in the closet. I would suggest finding a brick and mortar store to try out what they have to see if anything makes a strong impression on you and then start shopping around for something like that online as you can usually find it cheaper elsewhere.
Also keep in mind that the measurements are subjective as well. I didn't think so at first because an inch should be an inch where ever you go but some of the measurements are outside measurments instead of inside measurements and I even found a site that mixed up their width for their depth so it did not fit what I needed it for.
If you get the right one on the first try then you hit the jackpot but realize that you will not be able to buy or sell any gear again since it all fits in that bag
06-18-2012, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
These posts usually end up with a shotgun target load type response as opposed to the sniper bullet that most people are looking for.

The reality is that you will buy a bag that works for the most part for now and then when you get more stuff or different stuff you will need another bag then another until your significant other asks you why you keep buying bags because you already have 2 empty ones in the closet and you have to defend their purpose taking up space in the closet. I would suggest finding a brick and mortar store to try out what they have to see if anything makes a strong impression on you and then start shopping around for something like that online as you can usually find it cheaper elsewhere.
Also keep in mind that the measurements are subjective as well. I didn't think so at first because an inch should be an inch where ever you go but some of the measurements are outside measurments instead of inside measurements and I even found a site that mixed up their width for their depth so it did not fit what I needed it for.
If you get the right one on the first try then you hit the jackpot but realize that you will not be able to buy or sell any gear again since it all fits in that bag
As a former small store owner this advise really gets to me, and I know lots of people do it. The local stores cannot compete on price when their goods are handled and their staff spend time educating and assisting the customer only to have that customer in a few seconds online purchase from a large volume place that does not have to have unpacked bags or clerks explaining the differences between bags. Personally I would either pick out a bag online and purchase it or buy it at the local camera store. And if you do buy on line and have faulty gear do not go into the locally owned shop expecting them to supply a replacement for you (this has happened) End of rant.
06-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
As a former small store owner this advise really gets to me, and I know lots of people do it. The local stores cannot compete on price when their goods are handled and their staff spend time educating and assisting the customer only to have that customer in a few seconds online purchase from a large volume place that does not have to have unpacked bags or clerks explaining the differences between bags. Personally I would either pick out a bag online and purchase it or buy it at the local camera store. And if you do buy on line and have faulty gear do not go into the locally owned shop expecting them to supply a replacement for you (this has happened) End of rant.
I'm not one to take food off anyones table so I don't suggest this in an attempt to undercut anyone, more so out of necessity after my experiences with my local brick and mortar store. They "prey" on the uninformed purchaser and time after time when I go in to see if they have a step up ring or lens cap that I need or to pick up the occasional print I see them pushing a D something thousand in to a future "Nikon Mom's" (thats what I call them) hands and I have personally witnessed them telling the customer there are no other options or they are out of stock on everything else so they need to buy that camera and 2 lens bundle. I once suggested as I waited in line that the soon to be Nikon Mom buy the Nikon body and then a tamron super zoom all in one lens as a first time camera user instead of the 2 lens bundle to save a little money, weight and have a better learning experience. I almost didn't get to make the purchase that I went in for originally. I once checked out a small lowepro bag at the same store for my wife's camera and they had it priced at 59.99, a quick check online yeilded the same bag brand new for 29.99 from an online retailer + free shipping. I asked the guy after looking at the online listing if I could buy his bag for 39.99 as a compromise and he told me the price was 59.99 I bought the bag online as I walked out of his store. I have several other examples like this along with some from his less than competent staff that couldn't tell me what an M42 lens was when I went in to ask if they had a rear cap for it or what an arca swiss lens plate was when I was asking for tripod heads that were compatible or when I asked if he had any used pentax gear laying around anywhere one of them didn't even know it was a camera brand. None of this may be required knowledge of the camera shop employee but I would imagine that it would help.
Its nothing personal but for me there is no substitution for physically holding the product before I buy it. If the camera store can't do something to bridge the gap between their prices and the virtual competitors. . . . I think I offered a fair compromise above and the merchant was not interested. End of rant.

Last edited by littledrawe; 06-18-2012 at 06:24 PM.
06-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #15

I have a small backpack (full disclosure: it has a Canon logo on it), but it's very comfortable and I get a lot of stuff in it. I use it when I travel. I can pack a lot o' stuff: K-5 w/18-135, K-r w/Sigma 17-70, Sigma 28 and 10-20, Pentax 55-300, plus some filters, batteries, and it as a sleeve big enough for a notebook (paper-type) and a mini notebook. If I really want, it has straps on the sides and bottom to strap a Manfrotto smaller tripod and a folding seat to sit and take pictures.

It's green and black and it can be had for about $40.

Can't complain - had it for over a year and it's still going strong. Well constructed and very tough.
Attached Images