Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Neck strap or hand strap? Both
Posted By: JimmyDranox, 09-05-2013, 03:51 AM

Usually I don't like the neck strap, for various reasons. I prefer the hand strap. But, some times, the neck strap can be usefull. The problem is that ataching and detaching a strap is a time consuming work.

So, when I bought a K-5, I quickly made a strap holder, to work with hand strap all the time, and with neck strap, only when I need it. And also, to be able to put my camera on a table without a problem.

Of course, it is not perfect, nor in conception, neither in handcraft - I did in a hurry. Most certainly, in the future, I will make a much better design, for which I already have some new ideas. Including a model for my K-r.

This is my second DiY project in photography (in astronomy I had several). I hope that in a near future to be able to present you my first project, which reached the 10'th prototype, and I'm still not satisfied with it.

I forgot to mention that I did this by textolite, which is a fairly easy and durable material. As you can see, there are some signs of use, after three month of wear.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-17-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Views: 8,736
02-21-2015, 03:49 AM   #16
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Two words: Peak Design.
https://peakdesign.com/store/pro-strap-pack

02-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, it can be a solution, but not for me anymore. I stay away from neck strap after I was ready to break my camera two time because the strap hanged on things, and I almost drop it.

Until a new idea, no neck strap, only hand strap, and a bag. And the inferior part was changed to a L shape Arca Swiss plate, with some modifications.
04-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for Op/Tech gear.

I have a shoulder strap with extensions to allow it to be used as a sling; an elastic harness; and (may favorite) a wrist strap. With the Op/Tech connectors, I can change according to my activity. Also, I have another set of connectors on my binos, so I can use the same straps on them as well.
04-02-2016, 04:15 AM   #19
smf
Pentaxian

I have been pleased with use of a harness intended for binoculars or a camera. The one I selected is one of the several models sold by Eagle Optics.

07-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I use Peak Design gear. You can get both and switch to either solution easily.
07-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Standard neck strap.

Frequently converted to hand strap by gripping the camera with the right hand and then wrapping the strap over the camera and around the right hand before locking by sticking the fingers holding the grip into the loop of the strap.

Super secure and can be tweaked as to how snug a fit is preferred by changing the number of fingers in the loop.

I really dont want to much dangling bits on my camera. Already smashed a k-1 due to a snagging strap...
07-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Always and only a neck strap - round my neck, not over one shoulder or wrapped around any other portion of my anatomy. That way, not only can I support the camera with one or both hands, it is ready for instant use.

If in a situation, or on terrain, where this might lead to damage to the camera, it goes back in the bag for protection, leaving both hands free. Hardly rocket science.