Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Neck strap or hand strap? Both
Posted By: JimmyDranox, 09-05-2013, 03:51 AM

Usually I don't like the neck strap, for various reasons. I prefer the hand strap. But, some times, the neck strap can be usefull. The problem is that ataching and detaching a strap is a time consuming work.

So, when I bought a K-5, I quickly made a strap holder, to work with hand strap all the time, and with neck strap, only when I need it. And also, to be able to put my camera on a table without a problem.

Of course, it is not perfect, nor in conception, neither in handcraft - I did in a hurry. Most certainly, in the future, I will make a much better design, for which I already have some new ideas. Including a model for my K-r.

This is my second DiY project in photography (in astronomy I had several). I hope that in a near future to be able to present you my first project, which reached the 10'th prototype, and I'm still not satisfied with it.

I forgot to mention that I did this by textolite, which is a fairly easy and durable material. As you can see, there are some signs of use, after three month of wear.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-17-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Views: 8,763
09-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never want to shoot a DSLR without a hand strap, but I also don't want to carry it around by the hand strap.
And I don't want the tripod thread to be blocked.

My cheap solution was to utilize an element from some old neck or hand strap (can't remember), to have both at the same time.
I'm using it now for more than a year, and I am very satisfied with the handling.
I specially like the fact, that I can make the hand strap as wide as I want, and, once with the hand inside, a short tug at the neck strap, and it is just as tight as I want it. And it stays this way!
Attached Images

09-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That solution I've used before. But i didn't like it, because I cannot put my camera on a table because of the original strap holder, and I want to detache the neck strap quickly, when I didn't use it - most of the times.
09-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good DIY.
I am not so handy but still prefer having hand grip and cross body sling so I went with off the shelf components.
Consists of generic hand grip attached to generic arca swiss plate with slot for the grip webbing to attach to.
On the left lug there is a Optech loop connector that links to an Optech Sling.
This way I can use the camera with the grip , hang it on a sling, and pop it onto my tripods since they use arca swiss clamps.
Nothing needs to be removed for any scenario. OPtech quick disconnect makes it easy to use the cam with just the grip.

Attached Images

09-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting solution. I have to look for arca swiss plate, to see the dimensions of it, cause this gave me some idea.
09-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have an almost identical setup to the other Larry (crewl1) but I added a second Optech pigtail to the strap loop on the base plate for extra security. I also have the QR plate from my ball-head mounted to the hand grip plate so that the camera can stand on a flat surface if need be. My setup ends up being slightly taller overall as the plate that came with my hand strap is somewhat thicker than the Arca style one shown above and needs to be screwed into the camera first and the QR plate then screws into the body of the first screw.
09-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I have an almost identical setup to the other Larry (crewl1) but I added a second Optech pigtail to the strap loop on the base plate for extra security. I also have the QR plate from my ball-head mounted to the hand grip plate so that the camera can stand on a flat surface if need be. My setup ends up being slightly taller overall as the plate that came with my hand strap is somewhat thicker than the Arca style one shown above and needs to be screwed into the camera first and the QR plate then screws into the body of the first screw.
I was using Manfrotto RC heads and plates up until earlier this year when I switched everything over to Arca Swiss, so I previously dealt with similar stacking requirements.

The Arca Swiss format seems more flexible - even Manfrotto seems to be offering compatible versions now.

If you ever consider it there are kits to convert other heads to Arca Swiss format, but in most cases the kits were about the same cost as swapping to a new head, so I just ended up selling all my Manfrotto RC heads and buying new ones. The main driver for me was when I decided to get a gimbal for the long lenses and it used an Arca Swiss clamp.

09-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If you ever consider it there are kits to convert other heads to Arca Swiss format, but in most cases the kits were about the same cost as swapping to a new head, so I just ended up selling all my Manfrotto RC heads and buying new ones. The main driver for me was when I decided to get a gimbal for the long lenses and it used an Arca Swiss clamp.
I will bear this in mind for down the road Larry. At the moment I have the Redged RT-1 ball head which I use on my hiking pole/monopod and leave the Redged QR plate on the camera. My tripod is a very nice Slik U9000 which I've had for a few years but not used much, the tripod has a Slik proprietary QR plate which of course won't play with other brands. Come the end of the year I'm looking at getting some new tripod legs and then I will be able to use the ball head on both supports which will make life easier but a switch to Arca style may be a better option as I would be selling the Slik anyway and could replace/sell the Redged one and get an Arca style ball head instead and one of those slim Arca mounts with strap lugs like yours.
02-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #9

I have a hand strap but it works horribly with my camera belt
02-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Of course, it is not perfect, nor in conception, neither in handcraft ...

I forgot to mention that I did this by textolite, which is a fairly easy and durable material. ....
Nice job
Good how the tripod mount is off axis on the grip so your addition has it centred
02-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
clever.

I use a neck strap that converts to a hand strap using quick release clips. It also does the trick when wants the freedom of quickly changing the carry scenario.
02-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #12

i use the hand strap and the belt strap goes sroung your waist and has a quick release
02-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
clever.

I use a neck strap that converts to a hand strap using quick release clips. It also does the trick when wants the freedom of quickly changing the carry scenario.
MikeSF, a picture could be useful.

Mean time, I changed this with an modified Arca Swiss L plate. I will come with a photo latter.
02-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
MikeSF, a picture could be useful.

Mean time, I changed this with an modified Arca Swiss L plate. I will come with a photo latter.
sure, phone cam pics:

added bonus here is that the short strap config weaves into my tripod head as an extra safety in case the QR plate should get bumped and release.
02-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mike, thank you for the pics. You have a nice little monster.

I made the promised photos of my L-plate with the camera.

When I received the plate, I saw that the hole for the mounting screw is to short. So, first I'd try to make it a litlle longer. You wil see the traces of the drill. But was no good. The distance was to big. Finally, the inspirations came back, and i mount between the two parts of the plate, two small tubes, and replace the holding screws with some longer ones. Now, I have to buy some black matte paint, to finish it.

In this way I can use the hand strap all the time, as I always do, and the neck strap only when is needed.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-17-2017 at 10:27 PM.