Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
How to rescue photos on a corrupted SD card
Posted By: ve2vfd, 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM

I just had to recsue an SD card for a friend...

I searched for a while for a freeware utility and found this tiny program called "Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery", holy cow it does an amazing job!

Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery download and review - recover pictures from media cards from SnapFiles

It takes a while to scan a 2gb card, but it recovered every picture (complete and incomplete) on the card.

Just letting y'all know in case you need it!

Pat
Views: 73,811
08-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
The SanDisk RescuePRO 3.3 file recovery utility that comes free with Extreme Cards, seems to work well and saved a pal of mine when his card corrupted.

12-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #17

K20 Allergic to Kingston SD4/4GBKR

Of all the things a K20D seems to be allergic to Kingston 4G Class 4 cards (4MB/SEC) and runs perfectly well with 16G Class 6 cards (6MB/SEC) It runs three 10 meg jpeg images on to the formated card and stops on the Kingstons. (After showing the red busy light for a long time.)

Naturally the Kingstons Formated correctly, but had a shadow partition on them when looked at with gparted (Linux Partition, Rescue and utility.) After getting rid of the extra shadow partition I filled the 3.7GB up with Linux iso's that check summed correctly fat32 naturally.

Erased them and the K20D formated them and reinstalled a shadow partition and ran out 3 jpegs and "Did Not Store Image" on rest.

Go figure........ So I will ask Kingston to return the 4GIG but it would be enlightening to understand this allergy.

By the way gparted is on the Linux rescue CD which will boot on practically all PC's.

Regards John
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For windows users, I use Photorec_win after trying a number of other freebies. Author is Christophe Grenier Main Page - CGSecurity I have used it for friends who have managed to delete in camera or erase their card while attempting to download onto their computer using a USB cable. It uses a primitive DOS interface but it is easy to follow. Saves to a separate file and leaves file names intact.
12-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #19

Photorec

Hi,
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
For windows users, I use Photorec_win after trying a number of other freebies. Author is Christophe Grenier .
I used photorec on a linux machine. It recovered everything on my sdhc-card within minutes (4 GB).
And it's not only capable of restoring jpegs but any file on any media be it a hd, sd-card, cf-card or whatever. Just make sure you store your recovered files on a partition that is o.k. Don' t use the card you are trying to recover files from!
And it's free!

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
It uses a primitive DOS interface but it is easy to follow. Saves to a separate file and leaves file names intact.
For me it has a terminal interface, which works even if the gui doesn't. IMHO this is an advantage, since you'll be able to rescue anything on your partition holding the files for your gui once it's damaged. Thus your independent from a working gui.

May be you want to check out photorec's wikipedia page.

Nanoq

01-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #20

Many Thanks!

After reading your post last night, I tried the Zero Assumption software on about 100 photos I had lost moving from my camera to the computer after Thanksgiving. I had previously bought a $60 software package that had recovered about 200 of my 300 missing photos but for some reason couldn't recover them all. Zero Assumption did. Thanks again! Great advice.
jackflash
01-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #21

Low level flash drive recovery?

Somewhat more technical question: Can anyone recommend inexpensive or free software that can recover all data from a corrupted USB flash drive? This drive got hosed by XP Pro and near as I can tell the FAT is blown. The only way to recover data from it would be to scan the drive at low level and reconstruct the files by looking at individual sector leading/trailing pointers. An ordinary undelete utility won't work because Windows won't recognize the drive at all. Windows will allow me to reformat the drive, but I don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

I used to have a utility called Tiramisu that I bought from Denmark many years ago for doing the same kind of recovery on spinning media. Even if the drive wasn't recognized by the operating system the utility would look at individual sectors to reconstruct the data.

Would appreciate any thoughts or leads.
01-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Anyone tried PCInspector?
CONVAR & PCinspector Data Recovery Datenrettung recupero dati datarecovery rcupration donnes
As an experiment I reformatted my memory card, and scanned the disc to find some 200+ files there. I've taken over 1200 odd photos with this camera so that might have more to do with files being most recently written to that sector of the drive and I'm in a habit of copying files ASAP to my hd to keep the memory card free.
For that usb drive, there's also a chance the partition table was corrupted, try Partition Table Doctor for that. It repairs the partion table and then the drive is once again recognised within Windows. I used it recently to fix a friend's usb drive that did similar tricks.
Hiren's recovery cd might also have something to sort out that drive, it has quite a lot of useful utilities that work from a bootable cd including data recovery tools.
02-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #23

recovery

do these work if the computer doesn't list the card as a local drive?

02-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Machines with lots of card readers sometimes seem to get confused and the drives don't show due to a naming conflict. You can rename (remap?) the card by right mouse clicking on My Computer click Manage and disk management. See if the card comes up and if it does but clashes with other drives on the computer give it another letter like V. I find that this often saves having to use recovery cos the drive becomes visible.
Closed Thread