Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread

Cactus V6 Flash Compatibility -- Profiling Successes and Failures
Posted By: Class A, 05-13-2014, 08:34 AM

If you have successfully profiled a TTL flash with the V6, please post about it here.

Information whether remote control of power levels is working is welcome for all flash systems supported (Canon, Nikon, and Pentax) and any flash brand.

If you attempted to profile a flash and it did not work, please post about it here as well. Preferably, elaborate what the hurdle was (e.g., did not test as compatible, did not recycle quickly enough, ...).

I'll updated this first post regularly so that it will stay a summary of the experiences. Hence it will be easy to see which flash models are the awkward ones that refuse to play with the V6. I cannot image there will be many models that won't work, but let's see.

Compatible: (in addition to the predefined profiles; see the review for the original list of predefined profiles)
  • Pentax AF200T
    (the respective profile may also be used for the AF280T which on its own does not support profiling due to the lack of a sufficient number of manual levels.)

Don't Work:

Last edited by Class A; 09-30-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Views: 33,589
12-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Metz 64 AF-1 seems to have a light meter on the front, which would indicate that it contains thyristor (or IGBT) quench circuitry. The Cactus V6 should work just fine if this is the case.

12-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is that different from the 52 AF-1? I have only seen photos of the 52 (I own the 64), but they look very similar and are both the newest generation of Metz flashes.
12-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm assuming that since the Metz 52AF-1 Pentax did not work, the Metz 64 AF Pentax is probably a no-go, but has anyone tried this combo?
Most Metz models seem to work with the V6, the 52 AF-1 seems to be an exception.

Whether a flash for the Pentax system will cooperate depends on whether it supports traditional TTL. The information on the 64 AF-1 is a bit contradictory. On the one hand traditional TTL is said to be supported but the supported modes only show digital modes.

For other systems, the V6 also supports digital protocols and then it depends on the implementation of the digital protocol of the flash whether it will be supported digitally.
12-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Most Metz models seem to work with the V6, the 52 AF-1 seems to be an exception.

Whether a flash for the Pentax system will cooperate depends on whether it supports traditional TTL. The information on the 64 AF-1 is a bit contradictory. On the one hand traditional TTL is said to be supported but the supported modes only show digital modes.

For other systems, the V6 also supports digital protocols and then it depends on the implementation of the digital protocol of the flash whether it will be supported digitally.
In theory, perhaps, but has anyone tried it?

03-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
In theory, perhaps, but has anyone tried it?
Cactus stated the Metz 64 AF-1 is not supported.

However, given that the Pentax FGZ II models were initially thought to be not supported either but turned out to support analogue TTL after all, I'd say the verdict on the Metz 64 AF-1 is not complete, unless someone tried to profile it with a V6.
06-25-2015, 12:53 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Luck with Metz 64 AF-1

It's been @ 3 months since anyone has said anything about it working with the V6. Anyone get it to work?
09-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Pentax AF200T has been successfully profiled and the respective profile may also be used for the AF280T (which on its own does not support profiling due to the lack of a sufficient number of manual levels).

Last edited by Class A; 09-30-2015 at 10:42 AM.
10-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #53
Forum Member

Sorry to disturb folks, I am holding a K3 and I tried to sync the cactus v6 with my metz 58 2 but to no avail but..... on bulb mode it does fire when I click shutter! Any help on this problem for me?
10-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simon6z Quote
Sorry to disturb folks, I am holding a K3 and I tried to sync the cactus v6 with my metz 58 2 but to no avail but..... on bulb mode it does fire when I click shutter!
You might be over the sync-speed (1/180s) with your shutter speed in other modes.

Pentax cameras do not generate a regular trigger signal anymore once the shutter speed exceeds 1/180s.
10-23-2015, 02:44 AM   #55
Forum Member

so what do I do next?How to make it work again? I set it on relay mode is ok other than that none works
10-23-2015, 04:30 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I set it on relay mode is ok other than that none works
Don't use relay mode unless you have at least three V6 and want to remote release a camera while using off-camera flash.

I suggest to do a factory reset of the V6 and use M mode or Tv mode so that you can set the shutter speed to something fixed below or equal to 1/180s. Then you'll be able to trigger the flash every time.

N.B.: Also make sure the transmitter (on the camera) is not too close to the receiver (unless you activate the "SHORT" work range in the sub-menu of the V6 transmitter). With the standard "LONG" range setting, too close a distance between transmitter and receiver may lead to radio signal overload and hence stop the receiver from receiving proper signals.
10-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #57
Forum Member

Don't use relay mode unless you have at least three V6 and want to remote release a camera while using off-camera flash.

I suggest to do a factory reset of the V6 and use M mode or Tv mode so that you can set the shutter speed to something fixed below or equal to 1/180s. Then you'll be able to trigger the flash every time.

N.B.: Also make sure the transmitter (on the camera) is not too close to the receiver (unless you activate the "SHORT" work range in the sub-menu of the V6 transmitter). With the standard "LONG" range setting, too close a distance between transmitter and receiver may lead to radio signal overload and hence stop the receiver from receiving proper signals.
yes thank you sir it fires and sync in properly now! Thanks alot
10-23-2015, 04:54 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yes thank you sir it fires and sync in properly now! Thanks alot
Awesome!

Glad I could help.
10-23-2015, 05:13 AM   #59
Forum Member

Awesome!

Glad I could help.
oh yes one more thing that I wanna find out is that the wireless shutter trigger, do I need a normal 3.5mm audio cable to plug into cactus v6 and my k3 or some special 3.5mm cable? Thanks in advanced
10-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...do I need a normal 3.5mm audio cable to plug into cactus v6 and my k3 or some special 3.5mm cable?
A standard stereo 3.5mm male to 2.5mm male audio adapter cable will work as a shutter release cable for Pentax cameras.

Have a look at my Cactus V6 review for answers to this and many more questions.