Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
The right type of M42-to-K-mount adaptor
Posted By: dosdan, 01-18-2010, 05:18 AM

There are two types of M42-to-K-mount adaptor:

• The Flange type
  • The Recessed type

Don't be like me and get the wrong type, which is the Flange type. While the flange type is cheap, is commonly available and the flange appears thin, it is still thick enough to prevent focus at infinity.

Get the recessed type. I've got a "Roxsen" 3rd-party version. This is very easy to fit on a K100D Super body, but I find it is difficult to fit or remove this quickly on a K20D. The genuine Pentax M42 recessed adaptor is reported to be easier to fit compared to 3rd-party adaptors.

Here's some pictures I took showing the difference between the two M42-to-K-mount adaptors.

Recessed-type adapter plus insertion/removal key on left Flange-type on right. Both showing the side that fits to the camera:

Flange-type fitted:

Recessed-type fitted:

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-18-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Views: 31,990
06-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Interesting -- might have to pick one of those up. But to be fair, not many lenses need the aperture pin held down (Takumars don't, in general) because most have a switch and if they do have a switch I don't want it held down as it is nice to be able to flip the switch back to wide-open. The issue with narrow-based lenses is usually more about light-leaks than wobble. Most of my m42s end up with a semi-permanent cheapo adapter with the spring removed so I can use them like K-mounts, but the genuine adapter is good to have around for testing and lesser-used lenses. (I make sure to have one in my bag if I'm going anywhere where I might be looking at old used lenses so I can try them out without danger.)
I think a lot of the Russian and East German lenses were made (and maybe are still being made) without an A/M switch. There is a lot of strange bokeh fun to be had with those. Also, a lot of these lenses are old. I have a 105mm Soligor with a broken A/M switch, a not unusual occurrence for a lens from the 1970's. So for me this adapter gives some versatility and does not require lens surgery. If you did do an adapter per lens, the Kipon is $23 at Adorama (vs. $59 for the Pentax genuine). Only downside is the the Kipon needs a tool for adapter removal, but that is not an issue for my K30.

06-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
I think a lot of the Russian and East German lenses were made (and maybe are still being made) without an A/M switch.
Yeah, there is a definite subset that has the pin and no switch (Fujinons & Yashinons among the Japanese lenses as well), but most either have both or neither. MInor surgery or just gluing the pin down is usually no big deal either.
07-09-2016, 06:14 AM   #18

Years ago I bristled at the thought of paying $35 for a genuine Pentax adapter and got an inexpensive Bower, which looks almost exactly the same but comes with the fitting tool.

After many years the clip began to fail, and I got it stuck a few times. Finally I bought the genuine Pentax adapter from Amazon. The price, of course, has crept up to $50 since I bought the Bower.

What a difference! Whereas the Bower could only be reliably attached by attaching it to the lens first, the Pentax clicks right into the body, making lens changes so much faster and easier. The Pentax looks like a part of the body when it's in place.

It's been said many times before, and I wish I had listened long ago, but there really is no substitute for the genuine Pentax Adapter K.
08-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So I have one of the Pentax adapters. It's a nice adapter... but it makes me sad that it doesn't have some kind of plate in it to contact the aperture pin, to stop down the lenses attached. Am I missing something obvious? I'd love to use my zenit 16mm on my k3, but don't think it's possible without some lens surgery, it would be so nice if the adapter did this.

08-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
So I have one of the Pentax adapters. It's a nice adapter... but it makes me sad that it doesn't have some kind of plate in it to contact the aperture pin, to stop down the lenses attached. Am I missing something obvious? I'd love to use my zenit 16mm on my k3, but don't think it's possible without some lens surgery, it would be so nice if the adapter did this.
There are adapters you can get like that (see above), but it is not needed for the Takumar (Pentax) lenses the official one is officially designed for, otherwise I suppose it would have been made that way.