Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
The right type of M42-to-K-mount adaptor
Posted By: dosdan, 01-18-2010, 05:18 AM

There are two types of M42-to-K-mount adaptor:

• The Flange type
  • The Recessed type

Don't be like me and get the wrong type, which is the Flange type. While the flange type is cheap, is commonly available and the flange appears thin, it is still thick enough to prevent focus at infinity.

Get the recessed type. I've got a "Roxsen" 3rd-party version. This is very easy to fit on a K100D Super body, but I find it is difficult to fit or remove this quickly on a K20D. The genuine Pentax M42 recessed adaptor is reported to be easier to fit compared to 3rd-party adaptors.

Here's some pictures I took showing the difference between the two M42-to-K-mount adaptors.

Recessed-type adapter plus insertion/removal key on left Flange-type on right. Both showing the side that fits to the camera:

Flange-type fitted:

Recessed-type fitted:

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-18-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Views: 39,341
03-29-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Good point. No doubt it is just as confusing for them. This particular one was priced quite high so I thought it may have been a genuine.

A copy got stuck on my camera once so I am keen to get a genuine now if I can but the prices for new adapters are just crazy (eg BH Photo are selling them for US$75).
Like I say in my earlier posts in this thread, if it ain't the real one, take that spring off immediately and never look back. If you aren't sure whether it is genuine even after it is in your hands, take the spring off and put it on a body -- the real one will be pretty loose and move around, the fake ones will stay in there pretty firmly even without a spring. (If it is the real one, put the spring back on.) In practical usage, real ones go on the body and stay there, fake ones go on the lens (sans spring) and stay there.