Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Yes, I was definitely reading the wrong one. Very interesting patent, and I'd love to see it implemented.
QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
Thanks for the link. I think this patent and the one I linked fit each other nicely and help to make yourself an idea on how the EVF will work when actually implemented.
Yes I fell in love with this EVF when I first saw it (the patent of course) that I was hoping K20 would benefit from it. But the financial status of Pentax was not good by then. Now with Hoya behind with the Yens maybe in next K or whatever. When marketing director for Pentax told about a new concept in cameras to be introduced, I thought K-7 would be it, but, dah, will wait a few hours more for official news, or a few months, or never.

Last edited by RuiC; 05-18-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: a few hours more
05-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guys, don't bet on EVF, there is supposed to be something sepcial about the finder but no one knows for sure what it is yet, it might just be the 100% coverage for all I know.

So in short DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP!!
05-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #93

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
By the new Ricehigh specification
This should be obvious these days, but RH is no representative of Pentax and I for one give 0 credibility to his claims. There are barely two days to wait, so we will see when the actual, official info is available.
05-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
By the new Ricehigh specification there is nothing special about the VF other than 100% coverage...
RH leaks the press info on his site. Not less. Not more. If there is a surprise not mentioned in the press kit, he won't know ... On the other hand, press kit information is not normally left incomplete. Except ...

05-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #95
Veteran Member

So is there no "secret new feature" relating to the viewfinder?
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #96
Veteran Member

it's the 19th i guess you kept your promise ogl, thank you.

looks like a new system, but whats it mean? any luck figuring it out? it certainly looks like there is a display, or a reflector of a projection intercepting the last face of the pentaprism...

Last edited by illdefined; 05-18-2009 at 10:12 PM.
05-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
One big advantage for EVF is to benefit from SR when holding long teles. SR is useless with those lenses if you can't frame correctly.
If it's bad enough that you can't frame, the shot probably won't be too good anyway (that's as a 500mm user on my K10D).

So I'm not convinced. For me the only use of the EVF was to display a "live" luminance curve of the shot.

05-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #98
Veteran Member

ogl,
what is the point of your blank post?
05-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
ogl,
what is the point of your blank post?
It is not blank, only appeared that way.
For some reason, the attached image did not show for me as well.

I have to manually copy and paste this (for you, just click on it):
http://i.pbase.com/g3/97/912097/2/112520200.pRuMyUhP.jpg

and load it first, then it would display properly as part of the message.
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
It is not blank, only appeared that way.
For some reason, the attached image did not show for me as well.

I have to manually copy and paste this (for you, just click on it):
http://i.pbase.com/g3/97/912097/2/112520200.pRuMyUhP.jpg

and load it first, then it would display properly as part of the message.
It's under nda still and forbidden :P
05-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
It is done with the mirror locked up and readings are from the sensor. No need for transparent mirror. And the transparent LCD is deposited on the Condenser glass just next to the focusing screen. To avoid mirror reflection a plane screen is rolled out between the mirror and the focusing screen when the former is locked-up

I just realized RuiC described exactly what we just saw in ogl's diagram days ago.

there is a transparent LCD at the last face of the pentaprism that lets the reflex mirror do its traditional job of letting light through it when the mirror is down.

the LCD either directly displays information or reflects it from a projector above (the red thing in ogl's diagram) when the mirror is UP (to avoid nikon patent?). this is also why it would be showing active real-time readings from the sensor.

as RuiC described, there is a blackout plane rolled out between the prism and the mirror when it is in the up position to prevent reflecting any other light including the LCD information itself.

how do you activate this LCD without an "EVF" button? easy, the digital preview position on the trigger.
05-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #102

Original Poster
If that drawing corresponds to the K7, then it seems obvious there will be indeed an EVF in the meaning discussed at the begining of the thread (i.e., a traditional optical viewfinder where the camera can also show electronic information from the LCD).
05-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
If that drawing corresponds to the K7, then it seems obvious there will be indeed an EVF in the meaning discussed at the begining of the thread (i.e., a traditional optical viewfinder where the camera can also show electronic information from the LCD).
Is there? Where? Isn't that thing on the left just the normal viewfinder LCD info display panel?
05-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #104

Original Poster
Just read the above post by Illdefined.
05-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #105

Original Poster
I removed the question mark from the title of this thread, since by now it seems that the EVF is actually present in the K-7.