Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread

Sigma 8-16mm modifier program
Posted By: fs999, 08-09-2013, 07:39 AM

I developed a little Windows program named PentSig, very simple, to find and change DNG, PEF or JPG files taken with a Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM lens where the focal length is under 10mm and not mentioned correctly in the exif data.

It uses ExifTool in the background to do that. The original date and time stamps are unchanged.

The program doesn't need an installation, but for simplifying things, you can use the installation program or use the 7-Zip compressed file and copy the two files in a directory.

The installation program copies the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\PentSig directory and creates a global shortcut on the Desktop.

Once you have selected the correct directory, click on the "Search" button to find all the Sigma 8-16 lens files. If no file is found, or the files are already modified, you receive a message "All files are Ok !"

Then click on the "Modify" button to apply the changes. If the retrieved focal length is 8.1, the program writes 8, but for all other values it writes the exact value.

Click on the "Close" button to close the program.

The last directory, window position and size are stored in an ini file in the same directory.

No changes in the registry, you can use the program from an USB stick or drive, even read-only.

The program can also be used to show all the exif data from a selected file like Photo Me...

You can right-click on a file to open the explorer context-sensitive popup menu, to preview or open the file in an other program, etc...

See below for the new version !

If you need the program, send me a PM !

Note : The installation file PentSigSetup.exe and PentSig.exe are compressed files, some anti-virus programs don't like that. But I can assure you there are no viruses, trojans and fishings in them !

Note 2 : From time to time you can update ExifTool to be compatible with new raw formats... You only have to copy the new file in the PentSig directory.

This program is copyrighted by me, freely usable for PentaxForums members, but not transferable on an other site.
ExifTool is a free program from Phil Harvey and can be redistributed and/or modified under the same terms as Perl itself.
7-Zip from Igor Pavlov can be freely downloaded from his site.

Last edited by fs999; 03-08-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Views: 14,410
08-22-2016, 01:49 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
I installed version 1.3.0.0 yesterday using the zip file. The PentSig window opens and I can browse to a directory that I know has DNG and JPEG files taken with an 8-16mm lens at 8mm and 9mm but when I click search nothing happens. I don't even get a notification that no results were found. Any advice?
Normally it should be version 1.3.1.0 exe stamp : 18/08/2016 10:55:20

08-22-2016, 03:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Normally it should be version 1.3.1.0 exe stamp : 18/08/2016 10:55:20
Sorry, you are correct. It is version 1.3.1.0 (I shouldn't have tried to remember it without checking).
08-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have re-uploaded the PentSig.7z. You can see if it works now.
08-23-2016, 01:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have re-uploaded the PentSig.7z. You can see if it works now.
I've tried it again and I'm afraid it is still the same for me. The search button doesn't start the search.

This is all I see.

Attached Images

08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The directory is empty !
08-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The directory is empty !
The directory has over 1,500 files in it including many that are taken with a Sigma 8-16mm at 8 or 9mm
08-24-2016, 02:10 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
The directory has over 1,500 files in it including many that are taken with a Sigma 8-16mm at 8 or 9mm
But on your image, the list under the search button is empty, so the program can't search in the files...
There is perhaps a security conflict, so that the program can't see the files...
The program is looking for *.DNG,*.PEF and *.JPG files.

08-24-2016, 04:08 AM   #23
Pentaxian

But on your image, the list under the search button is empty, so the program can't search in the files...
There is perhaps a security conflict, so that the program can't see the files...
The program is looking for *.DNG,*.PEF and *.JPG files.
Here is a screenshot showing the files in the directory PentSig is pointed to. You can see there are many .DNG and .JPG files in the directory but the PentSig window doesn't show anything.
Attached Images

08-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh I see. I think it is because the extensions are hidden, so when I get the filename, there is no extension.
What you have to do is, in Windows Explorer, click on Tools menu and click on Options. In the dialog change to Display page and uncheck the "Hide the known extensions (or something like that)" item.
This will show the files in the listbox.
08-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Oh I see. I think it is because the extensions are hidden, so when I get the filename, there is no extension.
What you have to do is, in Windows Explorer, click on Tools menu and click on Options. In the dialog change to Display page and uncheck the "Hide the known extensions (or something like that)" item.
This will show the files in the listbox.
That seems to have done the trick - the files have been found and modified now. Thanks for your assistance.
07-07-2017, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A new Version 1.3.3 (07/07/2017)
  • 3 different styles : Dark, SlateGray and Blue (on the bottom).

See below for the new version !

Note : The installation file PentSigSetup.exe and PentSig.7z are compressed files, some anti-virus programs don't like that. But I can assure you there are no viruses, trojans and fishings in them !

Note 2 : From time to time you can update ExifTool to be compatible with new raw formats... You only have to copy the new file in the PentSig directory.

This program is copyrighted by me, freely usable for PentaxForums members, but not transferable on an other site.
ExifTool is a free program from Phil Harvey and can be redistributed and/or modified under the same terms as Perl itself.

Last edited by fs999; 03-08-2022 at 10:34 AM.
07-09-2018, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A new Version 1.4.0 (27/06/2018)
  • Image preview

Note : The installation file PentSigSetup.exe and PentSig.7z are compressed files, some anti-virus programs don't like that. But I can assure you there are no viruses, trojans and fishings in them !

Last edited by fs999; 03-08-2022 at 10:35 AM.
12-31-2020, 03:14 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A new Version 1.5.0 (31/12/2020)
  • Larger Image preview (hidden when you fly over with the mouse)
  • ExifTool is now located in C:\ProgramData\ExifTool (Win10 compat.)

Note 2 : From time to time you can update ExifTool to be compatible with new raw formats... You only have to copy the new file in C:\ProgramData\ExifTool.

Last edited by fs999; 03-08-2022 at 10:35 AM.