Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-7 probably has the most quit shutter mechanism of all DSLR's

Here is a link to a Swedish review of the K-7.

Scroll down for the video were the shutter sound is demonstrated.

They state that: "K-7 probably has the most quit shutter mechanism of all DSLR's."

- Larsen

05-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frakkas Quote

They state that: "K-7 probably has the most quit shutter mechanism of all DSLR's."

- Larsen
So now, we won't be confused for Praktica MTL5 shooters, eh?
05-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Mind taht lens aperture blades add to shutter sound.
05-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
So now, we won't be confused for Praktica MTL5 shooters, eh?
or Pentax 67 shooters....my god that camera had mirror slap issues...it sounded more like the "plunk" sound you get when you throw a coin in the bottom of an empty tin bucket.

05-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is great. Not something I thought was coming with the K7, but good that they managed
05-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #6

Which shutter mechanism would you guys prefer:

1. K20D noise level with 1/250 X-sync (around 40% faster)
2. K7 noise level (around 40% quieter) with 1/180 X-sync

I'd take #2 without thinking twice.

Prog.
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For a mechanical shutter, the primary constraint against increasing speed of shutter movement is the physical mass or weight of the shutter itself. Larger actuation forces aren't all that practical when trying to achieve a smaller camera body.

I had previously read about a month back that Nikon was using a graphite shutter, which probably enabled their high speeds. I suspect that Pentax has probably taken some similar step to lower the weight of the shutter and achieve higher speeds.

A lighter shutter means less shutter sound, since there is less energy involved. So faster frame rate and lower shutter sound are linked. Perhaps the restriction on doing this in the past has been shutter cost, or perhaps limitations on dealing with the larger data stream. All linked.

Anyway, a great accomplishment for Pentax.

05-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote

Can someone clarify/confirm the above: does the K20D has a faster shutter than the K10D (and K-7) ??

It could very likely be, it's just that I never realized the specs for the K20D.

Thanks,

BB
05-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Can someone clarify/confirm the above: does the K20D has a faster shutter than the K10D (and K-7) ??
No, all have 1/180s.

It's a hypothetical question, would you prefer a silent 1/180s or a more noisy 1/250s...

I would prefer the 1/250s, but because I cannot have it I'm very pleased that I get the quiet shutter for when I'm not using the flash
05-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

it's not just about the noise, but the noise gives insight as to the amount of vibration
the K100D is absoultely terrible at this
05-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
Which shutter mechanism would you guys prefer:

2. K7 noise level (around 40% quieter) with 1/180 X-sync

I'd take #2 without thinking twice.

Prog.
What tree would you like to be?

Is there any factual connection between shutter noise and sync speed? If there is one, it's probably the opposite, faster = quieter.
05-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Is there any factual connection between shutter noise and sync speed?
There doesn't need to be. I'm just curious to see what improvement (over the K20D shutter) do people here prefer - 40% faster X-sync, or 40% quieter shutter. I'm sure that Pentax could have both, but the cost would undoubtedly be higher (otherwise they would have gone in this direction).

QuoteQuote:
If there is one, it's probably the opposite, faster = quieter.
Then how would you explain that the K-7 shutter is quieter than the faster D3 shutter?

Prog.
05-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Because the D3 has a bigger mirror (it's full frame) than the K-7.
05-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
What tree would you like to be?

Is there any factual connection between shutter noise and sync speed? If there is one, it's probably the opposite, faster = quieter.
Why does it have to one thing or another?

Canon 50D has shutter noise adjustments... right down to silent mode. Plus 1/250 flash sync.

I guess Pentax wasn't planning to out-do the 50D, at least, not in this respect.
05-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frakkas Quote

- Larsen
I've given this a lot of thought and, after a JCPentax post earlier today confirming that they didn't touch the shutter I'm convinced that Pentax simply didn't feel like 1/250 was important enough to mess with. They dampened the mirror slap and allowed the firmware to close the second curtain a little sooner to get the 1/8000 spec. In all likelihood a shutter capable of 1/250 sync would have been quieter still, although possibly a fraction more expensive.

Either way, from a finished image perspective, the speed of the shutter is far more important than the sound of the mirror slap. Moose Peterson shoots incredible wildlife images with a D3X in machine gun mode all day long. I'm inclined to believe that the quieter mirror slap on the K-7 is fairly insignificant outside of personal preference. I'm glad they addressed it but I sure wish they would have touched on the real limitation. Maybe next time.