Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
V-head for 'pods
Posted By: pacerr, 10-31-2010, 10:15 AM

I dislike 'pods of all sorts (tri-, bi- or mono) because it's so irritating having a 5-foot lever attached to the camera trying to pry it out of my hands while moving around.

This V-head allows complete freedom of movement while providing a steady-rest when needed. It even works with a 1/4-20 lag-bolt (a bolt with 1/4-20 machine threads on one end and a wood screw thread on the other end available at any hardware store) screwed into the end of a walking stick which you can cut in the field as needed.

With a light mono-pod tethered to your jacket or camera strap you have both hands free for the camera. Use caution with AF lenses whose barrel turns when auto focusing.

Made from a 5" x 1" x 1/8" scrap of aluminum, a 1/4-20 nut and strips of foam rubber (or leather). Fits on any 'pod with a standard 1/4-20 thread.

Attached Images

Views: 5,814
11-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seems simple enough, but somehow I see it requiring too many hands, or it falling over when I lift the camera.
11-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Seems simple enough, but somehow I see it requiring too many hands, or it falling over when I lift the camera.
Uhhh, yeah. but (" . . . tethered to your jacket or camera strap . . .") so what? With a short (18") 'leash' the head's right there ready to be picked up again when you move.

Much more convenient than waddling around with your camera attached to a 5-foot pole or tripod waiting to trip you or pry the camera out of your hands.

(As a side note, here's a mod I've made to my tripod legs over the years. One fixed brace is disconnected and replaced with light-weight chain and a hook so that one leg can be adjusted independently. Works quite well in tight spaces or against a wall and the brace can be reattached if desired.)

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 03-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.
11-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
'pod head

I recently discovered this Trek-Tech product ( Monopod, Travel Tripod and Camcorder Tripod Outfitter | Trek-Tech ) -- MagMount PRO.

Essentially a ball head with a very strong magnet and a mechanical safety clip in place of a QRP. I've found the magnetic connection to be much more confidence inspiring than some of the QRP's I've used.

These have subsequently replaced the V-heads described above on all my mobile 'pods. Offers both a very quick and convenient disconnection from the head when moving about while providing all the positive attachment I need for mobile mono- or bi-pod use.

Both the PRO and the smaller sized heads have a place in my gear. The smaller head attached to strong, 4- to 6-inch spring clamps is also handy to position a variety of accessories, strobes and P&S-sized cameras.

H2