Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
making a flash puffer out of an old film container
Posted By: lguckert79, 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM

step 1: well you get an old film container "white one" it is very important that it is the white one.

step 2: you measure your pop up flash.

step 3: you mark the old film container to the measurements of the pop up flash remember not to cut the end with the lid you need the lid to be able to still go on the container.

step 4: you use either an xacto knife or a small razor blade and cut the measured your area out of the container, make sure that you cut it enough to fit over the flash its self.

step 5: glue the cap on and let dry then try it out

mine works great and i saved 20-40 bucks that can go for a new lens or what ever

ps if you have a bigger flash that conects to your camera youy can do the same thing with a bigger old mild jug a one quart jug if it is white plastic .

Last edited by lguckert79; 05-02-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: missing steps
Views: 6,089
02-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
mine works great and i saved 20-40 bucks that can go for a new lens or what ever
How about toward a new flash? I got one that bounces, swivels, manually zooms, has 2 auto modes and a M mode for under $40. Of course the film can has the size and weight convenience, but for increasing the IQ I think an adjustable flash would help. Plus, you can paint buildings (or other things) with light during long exposures....

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-24-2011 at 05:29 PM.
02-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shouldn't this be in the DIY section?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Shouldn't this be in the DIY section?
your right adam sorry ill try to move it, but do we have a "DIY" section and if we do how do i move it?

Last edited by lguckert79; 02-25-2011 at 07:31 AM.
02-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Why measure and glue the lid?

I would just cut a slit in the button, slide it on, and pop on the lid.

You can also use black tape on the rear so you don't lose any light in that direction when it's bounced back.
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I made something very similar to this, only using a ping-pong ball. Works great!

Jason
02-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
your right adam sorry ill try to move it, but do we have a "DIY" section and if we do how do i move it?
Looks like it magically happened

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank adam

03-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've done this, and it does work well. I've made a further mod though, I attached a piece of 2.5cm double sided tape to a stip of fine-diamond textured mylar, and then stuck it on one side of the slot. Now I have a diffuser with the can attached one way, and an up-lighter when it's the other way around. It prevents red eye and gives a smoother light spread. Obviously, if I know I'm going to be using a flash I'll take my external with me, but the film can is so small, light and cheap that it lives in my bag for those times when I don't have it.

Oh, and I've been wondering why the built-in flash doesn't swivel in its housing, would be a feature that'd get used a lot I reckon.
03-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that is a good idea and the swivel flash in the housing flash sounds good
03-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Or, Jumbo-size it!

Half gallon (1.8 ltr) jugs work for the larger flashes. Foil lining to concentrate the light as desired. Trim the bottom correctly and the "cap" just snaps on. Shown with AF-360.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 03-18-2011 at 11:43 AM.
05-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that is a great idea i love it cause i have a swivel flash well and old one that works on my dslr and i have been thinking of some sort of a diffuser and this is great thanks