Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
DIY DSLR K-X “Cable” Cable Release
Posted By: trailrider, 05-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have seen people make cable release brackets that utilize the tripod mounting socket on the bottom. This bracket holds a cable release with its plunger directly over the shutter release button. I did not like this design. I wanted to have my camera flush on my tripod and not have to fiddle with the bracket while mounting my camera to the tripod. Someone on the forum mentioned using a ¼”-20 tripod mount screw to flash hot shoe adapter. They are on eBay. I bought this one since it had two locking rings and it was from the US. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200598595922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I bought a strip on aluminum that was 1/8” thick by ½” wide and 3ft long at Lowes. I chose aluminum since it is easier to bend and tap. I wanted to tap the cable release into the bracket. The cable release threads are a special tapered thread that you will not be able to match. I tested all sizes metric and standard. M3 x 0.5 fits the best. This is the size tap I used. You get almost a full turn of locking. I have read other people using a 1/8” nut but can not confirm this. I used a vice, piece of pipe and hammer to bend the aluminum strip. Try to avoid bending a full 90 degrees. It will weaken the aluminum. My first attempt broke when I tried to undo a bend for adjustment. Measuring and getting the bends accurate is difficult. It seems the metal does not always bend exactly where you like it to. On my second attempt I first made a template out of coat hanger to use as a guide. The last step was to use a crescent wrench to put a twist at the shutter end to get it to line up. It is not perfectly centered but it works. I am using an air cable release. Some people say an air release is best for isolating any movement. I just happened to have one. I can get a half shutter press for focus and hold it followed by full shutter actuation. It surprisingly takes quite a bit of squeeze for actuation. I am going to buy a regular cable release to provide shutter locking capability in the future. I have read some people put an eraser on the end of the cable release plunger to protect the shutter button. My plunger does not stick out far enough. I cut a circular piece of packing tape to protect the shutter button from getting scratched. I now have cable release capability for exposure bracketing and HDR. If I want to also have mirror lockup for these modes I can also use live view.

Good Luck
Mike

Attached Images

Views: 10,701
05-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #2

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Nice idea, I might just see what I can makeup in this line.
05-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
I am not sure if any of the flash contacts are hot at all. Just in case I put a piece of electrical tape on the bottom on the flash shoe plate-1/4-20 adapter.

Mike
10-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Interesting and creativ solution.

07-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

I really liked the simplicity of this design since I needed it for long exposure BULB shooting.
I found the perfect (cheap) alternative to the Hot Shoe stud at my local Home Depot's plumbing department.
The 1/4-20 version of the brass toilet hold down bolt. Comes 2 to the package with nuts and washers for under $2.
Fits perfectly!