Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
D-AC50 power adapter cheap replacement
Posted By: Predictor, 12-26-2011, 02:59 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Original Pentax D-AC50 adapter (for k10d, ..., k-5 DSLRs) is hard to find and expensive, especially for purchase outside US.

So I aimed to find a cheap replacement.
I noticed that Canon CA-570 AC power adapter ($7.98 with free shipping at ebay) has the same characteristics as D-AC50:
Input Voltage: 100V-240V AC (50-60Hz)
Output Voltage: 8.4V
Amperage: 2A

The only difference is a tricky plug used by pentax.
A little googling and I found compatible plug MQ172-3SA-CV(50) Digi-Key Part Number H10485-ND (center pin is +V and shield is GND) (only $2.99).

I assume that the way using canon adaptor is more simple than described in the DIY AC Adapter for The Pentax K10D and K20D article.
The only problem for me is that I live in Russia and digi-key does not ship to Russia.
If you are intending to assemble adapter according to this advice, please make a noble deed, purchase 2 plugs and send me one, not pro bono (I will send the plug price and S&H fee to your paypal account).
Views: 21,910
12-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good tip, Predictor! My Canon HF10 camcorder uses such a unit - on the road to find the plug!
01-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

I had no problem getting this little adapter plug, but I could not get it to work. It came in three different pieces with no instructions. It was only $5 shipped so no great loss. I'm still looking for a solution - if anyone has the Pentax D-AC50 AC Adapter to sell please let me know...
01-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
If I had a plug I could make a tutorial how to assemble it, with images.

01-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #5

Thanks for a nice post. I tried this method today, but it doesn't seem to provide enough power; the battery sign blinks.
01-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by birdandfly Quote
Thanks for a nice post. I tried this method today, but it doesn't seem to provide enough power; the battery sign blinks.
Did you use 8.4V 2A adapter?
01-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Predictor Quote
Did you use 8.4V 2A adapter?
Yes. It is CA-570 with OUTPUT 8.4V 2A. When I measured its output at the plug after changing the plug to MQ172-3SA-CV(50), it was 8.45V 2.0A.

01-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by birdandfly Quote
Yes.
It's weird. But I can tell nothing specific until I get a plug.
01-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the net, you can find multiple suggestions how to build a DIY AC Adapter for Pentax cameras. They all suggest to use a robust voltage stabilisation, and try to make these handling any DC input up to 12 or 16V. This would enable you to use any cheap device which offers >2A @ 12V, and you could use the 12V outlet of a car as well.

But some of these posts have found the nominal 2A current to be the lower limit of what is needed - the K10 draws 1.7-1.9A when storing to memory card, and it doesn't have LV ! So probably the Canon adapter does not provide enough smoothing at current peaks, and the camera does detect this.

Here are just some links (in english, german, polish language), but you may find some more if you do not google for Pentax or adapter, but for the plug.

https://roamingdrone.wordpress.com/2008/09/26/diy-ac-adaptor-for-the-pentax-k10d/

Sternhimmel

http://www.m2uu.com/elektronika:zasilaczpentaxk20d

Last edited by RKKS08; 01-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.
01-29-2012, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a friend build a 12V version of these adapters based on the roamingdrone design. Even with the design done properly, we found that using thin wires to the power plug would cause a dropout when saving. Ended up using an ethernet cable and using two wires per lead.
01-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Predictor Quote
If I had a plug I could make a tutorial how to assemble it, with images.
I won't be home before 9th February, which is a pity because I have 3 of these connectors. I could send you 1 or 2 without a problem.

If on 9th Feb, you haven't received any from another member here, please send me a PM and I'll mail it (them) the next day.

I have some excess as I was making several adapters. A 12V adapter based on one of the tutorials above, and a simple connection to a 8,4V battery pack (not tested yet).

When it comes to voltage converters, I am also looking into this. A (very small) bit of soldering needed apparently... Still have not ordered it.

François

Last edited by LeFanch; 01-29-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Added more info.
02-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #12

I found This data sheet about the plug MQ172-3SA-CV(50) it will surely please you, jwoodland

can find the reference easily with google.

Predictor, do you have any progress info ? the idea of using a cheap existing power adapter + plug seems very simple and promising.
The original K-AC50 is way too expensive and hardly available

LeFanch will surely agree, can't find a shop here in France or in europe that have it in stock, and again the price is a cut throat !

usually I prefer go with genuine accessories, i.e. for batteries but I rather spend 12 euros than 120 !
after all this is just a regulated transfo !

Stop the racket ! DIY DIY DIY !!! Seems like R&D Pentax engineers have spent a BIG budget to protect this from counterfactory...

Maybe someone with the adapter could plug it to a scope to check if we can acheive a match of the output current shape, or find an existing adapter with nearly the same. the output may not be linear, this is why the blinking battery sign on the k5 described by birdandfly , I believe.

Well folks, if you have any further info, please Share !
02-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaladinax Quote
LeFanch will surely agree, can't find a shop here in France or in europe that have it in stock, and again the price is a cut throat !
They are pretty hard to find, indeed.
As it might be of interest for some of you, I'll just share a link : Farnell. 3.30€ each
The link to the site in english also...

Here is the list of countries with Farnell "shops".

Edit : Please note that Farnell require that you order for a minimum of 20€. (Thanks Predictor!)
If you don't have anything else to order, that's pretty much a killer...

Last edited by LeFanch; 02-07-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: More information
02-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #14

yes ! that was the site I was thinking of but didn't dare to mention namely....

Interresting info, LeFanch, well, of course 20 euros minimum it's a pain in the beeeeep, once again...
maybe another supplier is less restricting...

anyway I'm not decided yet, I still plan to DIY, but want to make sure the solution is valid and fully functional, without any issues for my K5 gem.

thanks for the info.
02-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaladinax Quote
Predictor, do you have any progress info ?
I'm waiting for the CA-570 adapter to arrive soon.
LeFanch kindly offered to send me a spare plug.

As soon as I get the CA-570 I will try to connect it directly to battery contacts to check if it has enough amperage.

+1 it would be great if someone with the original adapter could measure it's characteristics.