Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DIY Flash Bracket
Posted By: OrangeKx, 01-31-2012, 06:35 PM

A while back I scored a used Manfrotto 3007 tabletop tripod for $25. I figured I could put it to some additional use in getting my AF 201Sa flash off my K-x. I used some scrap aluminum I had, bought gasket material from the auto parts store to act as a pad for the camera and some hardware to bring it all together. I broke out the Dremel router bits and made a recessed section with squared off sides where a T-nut is held captive between the two base pieces as I don't trust the aluminum to hold up over time for the 1/4-20 tripod mount. I need to clean up some of the machine scars and paint it black. I've decided a handle for my left hand would be nice, so I plan to relocate the flash mount closer to the camera and use the original 3/8" hole for the new handle. The flash can be mounted above or below the camera and the Manfrotto shaft extends to get even more height on the flash (as can be seen in one of the pictures). Of course the 482 Ball Head makes moving the flash a breeze and the 482 can be mounted directly to the bracket to bring the flash down. I bought an Aputure Pro-Grade TTL Off-Camera cable from Amazon and it works like a champ.

I did this as a DIY project, but wouldn't mind getting a nice quality bracket with a handle and just drill a 3/8" hole in it for the Manfrotto parts. I did this route to see how it would work on the cheap... then again, maybe I just run with this for a while. This is the first time I've had the option of taking pictures with the flash off the camera and I love it. Moving the light around is a lot of fun. It keeps all my pictures from "feeling the same".

Attached Images

Views: 5,006
02-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #2

Very nice man! You look quite professional! Can I share my recent (poor man's) setup? (can I post two pictures, here in this thread?) Anyway I have a K-r, an old National PE-2057 and the Cactus V4 wireless trigger. I bought a 4$ bracket from Hong Kong to get everything onboard when I want to use it "on camera".
02-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ya', post all the pics you want, I'd love to see 'em!!
02-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like a very functional design, nice, thanks for posting.

02-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #5

Here you are ;-) It's nowhere cool like yours but... It's a pretty cheap option...
I know... Why one should ever use wireless triggers this way? Just because I have had this old high voltage flash from my father so I guessed It could be a cheap DIY all-rounder setup! I'm sorry for the quality, I took them with my cellphone...
Attached Images

02-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice. At least the wireless is nice and tidy. The cable I'm using is a little much for the bracket set-up. I'd like to get a wireless eventually.
02-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I decided to add a handle, but once I got done the assembly was a little too long. I did some mods and brought the post and handle in closer to the camera. Could've gone a little cheaper/lighter with a tapered plastic handle from McMaster-Carr, but got the idea of using a gear shift knob and thought it looked rather cool - and it's quite comfortable. I love cars and cameras, why not tie it all in. Will paint the aluminum pieces black when the weather warms up a bit here in the Pacific NW. I figure there's less than $20 in the whole thing... but a lot of runs to the hardware store. (I got the hardware for the camera mount from an old tripod head when I swapped it out for the one shown here.)
Attached Images

02-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #8

That's really cool! You really have some DIY skills! Your cable is nice and, believe me, it's more reliable, at least you won't miss a shot. Wireless is less reliable and probably would cost you twice.

02-03-2012, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #9

I love the look, especially the gear stick. Might be worth copying this effort just to see the look around the rally car service park. One of the video guys has a Momo racing steering wheel figrig mount for a P&S camera that works great. Now I wonder if I can work out how to make a cable release that would use an accelerator pedal?
08-01-2012, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #10

look really cool