Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
D.I.Y. Fixing a Sigma broken Hot-Shoe for $10
Posted By: bdparker, 10-22-2012, 05:02 AM

Well that is what the foot part cost $10 Aus from C.R.Kennedy Melbourne.

Since this is the second time I have done a D.I.Y fixit, I thought I would do it as a tutorial with lots pics, all images are click-able for a bigger version on Flikr.

P.S. Moderators... if this is in the wrong place, please move it (will delete this line later)

The new foot I believe is backward compatible with most of the Sigma flashes from the 450 to the 610, but the rest of the base may not be (the wiring connection is a different size in some cases).

So here we go..... The usual disclaimer applies, you are responsible for your own actions, this is only a guide... seek professional help if unsure
Take your time, take notes and go gently.

My Demonstration is on the EF-610 DG Super it may be different for the other versions.

1. Unscrew the four screw on the base and gently remove the base from the back first (the Inferred assist light is what is catching under the body).
be careful not to pull it off to far and damaging the connector and thin wires.

2. Unplug the connector, Take note of which way it is plugged in (although it only goes one way)

3. remove the two short screws and lift off the IR assist light.

4. Take note at which way the circuit board is sitting and unscrew the one at a time, with finger pressure on the board before the last one. It is spring loaded and you don't want to lose any of the four spring or the little metal connectors.

5. When you lift the circuit board off this is what you see, remember (Your) spring and connector locations and where the earth connection comes our.

6.Gently remove the foot be careful not to break the black wire and this what you should see.

7. Now the easy bit... remove the earth connector, the springs and connectors and the ring (remember which way everything comes off and goes on...) everything only works one way...

Now the assembly.

8. Change the fool and screw the ring all the way down (not tight) because there is a anti lock tab on the other face will stop you from locking the flash properly on you camera if it sits to hight when you assemble... insert you connectors and springs the way they came out..

9. Put the earth back in and attach the foot to the base.... it should only locate one way.
Here is a tricky bit. There are hole two hole in the circuit board and two matching lugs in the base that should go together. When you screw these together, hold the circuit board down (located correctly on the lugs) and I suggest screwing the first screw in that is closest to the lugs, this should hold the assembly together in the right place while your continue with the other screw in a cross pattern.

10. plug the connector back in to the socket, make sure it is seated correctly.

11. and guide the IR assist light back into the body first (the way it came out).

12. Screw the base back on and there we have it... Almost like new.

Good luck
Views: 7,183
10-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

I have several Sigmas, and it is very handy to have this DIY guide when they need service.
Do you have the foot part article number from Sigma?
Just to be sure to be able getting the correct part at the later time.
10-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the bag it came in... Not sure what model it originally was ordered for?

10-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well that's interesting. Here in Brisbane I've repaired the foot on my EF-530DG Super twice.

First time here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/56613-r...per-flash.html

Second time mentioned here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/83131-sig...iy-repair.html

When I rang CR Kennedy in Brisbane they told me that they would have to order the complete foot/IR assist assembly from Melbourne. This was $70.

The 2nd time I used the eBay link mentioned in the 2nd thread to order just the foot and spring contacts from the US. Item took a long time to be delivered (6 weeks). I'd thought it had gone missing or was not sent. Now I believe it may have been out of stock.

I'm angry that CR Kennedy Brisbane made me buy the complete sub-assembly.

Dan.

10-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ dosdan.... I believe CR Kennedy don't keep a large stock and only order when the order sheet has all 15 lines filled (that what I have been told twice now)

So while I think I took there last one in melbourne, I ordered another two, it still might take about 4 weeks to get them in.

Edit: the CR Kennedy part # is F18PA-F08P010... This should get you the part that you need (the foot only)

Last edited by bdparker; 10-30-2012 at 05:11 AM.
10-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #6

Many thanks!

Thanks so much for posting this guide. I got a replacement shoe from CR Kennedy for $11, followed the guide and it is working good as new!
10-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tried to get the part in the USA a couple of years ago when I broke mine but was told it wasn't available so I paid the $70.