Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
DIY Camera Clamp Mount
Posted By: OrangeKx, 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM

I decided to throw together a mount clamp this weekend. I bought the clamp at Lowes for less than $7 (it's the 2" version, there's also a 4" version). The hardware added to the cost, but got it done for less than $13. I have a Manfrotto tabletop tripod so I installed a 3/8-16 bolt to accept the ball head (which I figure I'll use more than the 1/4-20 bolts I added). I removed the original hinge bolt for the jaws and the hole was exactly 1/4" so there was no drilling to install the thumb screw. I applied red loctite on the nuts to keep them in place and the hinge thumbscrew is snug enough to hold the jaws, but I can turn it easily to screw the bolt into a camera or flash base. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I think it'll work in a pinch. I may leave it in the car in case of emergencies (when I don't have my tripod).

(I may make a second one using the 4" clamp (they run around $8-$9) to give more space for the camera when it's attached at the jaw hinge bolt.)

Attached Images

Views: 4,998
01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

HA ... cool idea !
01-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
nice!!
01-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done.

I've used heavy-duty spring clamps in the same manner for years. They're cheap enough I don't mind leaving them in the field in places I often shoot - saves hauling a lot of gear from place to place.

If you attach a flexible lamp neck to the clamp it add an additional degree of freedom for lighter gear too.

Also works with spotting scopes and remotely fired strobes.

H2