Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Super Telephoto Jump Bag
Posted By: littledrawe, 03-01-2013, 02:49 PM

Hopefully we've all come to the conclusion that there is not an all-in-one camera bag and that different photography shooting situations demand different gear. This is one solution for one type of shooting that could potentially be applied to others if your imagination allows for it. I've tried a couple different versions of this bag so I decided that while putting together this last one I would do a write-up to share it with anyone else here that is interested.
I tried this first with a basball equipment bag and a single flat 1" thick piece of upholstery foam in the bag to let it cradle the camera/lens. This was o.k. but the foam was uncovered and the bottom shape of the bag was rounded as it took the shape of the lens ultimately I ended up not being happy with it. The second one I tried was much more successful. I bought a wide mouth tool bag at Home Depot for about $20 and used some foam I had laying around to make an insert. I used a flat pool noodle (sounds silly I know) for the bottom and it made a great rigid yet cushiony bottom. I cut up a foam sleeping pad and used that for the sides, then sewed a cover for the bottom and the sides out of some fabric so the foam was covered. This was big enough for my lens/camera at the time and some accessories on the side of the insert.
After selling that lens the next one I got was too big for that bag so I ended up with a Lowepro super telephoto backpack which has been great especially for hiking or traveling. The jump bag, though, is for the times when I just need to grab the lens/camera and go and still have quick access to it, which is not the case with a backpack.
START HERE FOR QUICK VERSION
For this bag I found a used baseball bat bag with a U shaped zipper at a local sporting goods store. I bought a nylon stuff sack that is 27"x30" and new foam sleeping pad to sacrifice. The width of the sleeping pad was about as long as I needed the foam inserts to be so I cut them into 12" sections and folded them in half to be double thick 6"x19" pieces. I put the first one in the stuff sack and pushed it into the bottom corner and up against the side and then used safety pins to create a seam. Then the next piece of foam up against the seam and all the way to the bottom and more safety pins for another seam. Finally the third piece of foam and more safety pins with just a little of the stuff sack left over on one side. Now I have a tri-fold foam insert that is ready for the baseball bat bag.
Empty square shaped nylon stuff sack, very similar to the material most padded camera inserts are covered with:

Stuff sack with 3 foam sections:

Folded and in the bag:

lens+camera cozy in the bag:

To finish it off, I am going to add some upholstery foam to the ends of the insert when I find it and then use the second stuff sack for a fourth section for the top. I may also add something under the insert that is just a little bit more rigid for more protection on the bottom of the bag. the baseball bat pocket can be used to hold a monopod while you are in transit too.

Last edited by littledrawe; 03-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Views: 2,978
03-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work..
03-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very creative!