Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
K-x modified battery grip
Posted By: Scorpion, 04-18-2013, 04:23 PM

Frustrated by the battery problem with the K-X, and lack of a battery grip, I was inspired by another member on this group to solve the problem.

I chose a CANON type BG-E5 Battery Grip ( bought from Amazon for £15.88), which seemed to have the tripod bush in the same position as the K-X. This grip comes with two battery trays. One takes 6 x AA and the other takes 2 x LP-E5 lithium batteries.

With 5 x 1.2V rechargeable (and 1 x dummy battery) I will get 6V or more (better than the 4.8V with just 4), thus solving any battery problems. The cable isn't a problem, I have a small length of twin cable that connects to the grip (this is tucked inside the grip after connecting) that goes in via the small hole in the battery compartment. I have cut a small section off of the "door" so by the time the grip is fitted the cable is barely visible. The other end is connected to 2 x modified dummy batteries that are inserted into and power the K-X.

I have retained the metal post in the grip that stabilises the camera. I removed the bottom of the K-X and after exactly measuring the position, I drilled a hole in the bottom and glued a small piece of plastic over it to (stop any water/dust entering. The grip fits perfectly, and does feel much more comfortable than without, and adds a nice bit of weight and balance when using a strap, especially when using a large lens and/of flashgun.

As I got carried away with this project, I fitted a small voltmeter device (about £2.00 on ebay). This natty device runs from any source 3-30v and gives an accurate voltage reading. I wired it to the on/off switch on the grip, as, although it doesn’t consume much power, would eventually drain some power over a period of time. With 5 fresh batteries AA batteries, it will show 6.8V and lasts for ages. I shot a wedding a few weeks ago and took about 600 shots and the batteries still showed 6.2V with the camera switched on. I am basically getting the same performance as 4x Energizer Lithiums without the cost.

I have also fitted a trimmed down remote transmitter inside the grip wired to the portrait shutter button and powered by the grip. I fitted The remote transmitter LED in the bit that sticks out and houses the shutter botton. When remote operation is enabled, this works well in portrait mode, albeit without anti-shake.

I am intending using the LP-E5 battery tray, but I am concerned about the slightly higher voltage. This can be as high as 8.4 v on freshly charged batteries. Although my gut feeling is that the K-X must have some protection/regulation, I am not willing to take the risk at the moment. 4 x Energizer Lithium AAs can actually be as high as 7.2v.

If I have to use 4 x Lithium AA batteries, I use 2 x dummy batteries.

I have been a TV/Video engineer for 40 years, so I am used to working with electronics, but there was a lot of work and trial and error with this project. There are of course three buttons and one wheel that are not used, but that is normally the case is a grip is turned off and used in landscape mode.

All in all I think it was a worthwhile project, and I use it all the time.

Attached Images

Last edited by Scorpion; 04-18-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Adding LP-E5 and removing incorrect "s"
Views: 9,192
04-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

very nice...!
04-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well done. I love the battery meter gauge!
I'm still amazed that there are no Chinese eBay battery grips for the K-x though. Lots of people have been through this process DIY, so there is a demand for K-x grips.
04-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Kudos to Scorpion. More than likely a commercial designed grip for the K-x would also work with the K-r and K-30. They will all work with the equivalent of 4-AA batteries.

04-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x was never designed to have a grip attached that is why you don't see anything on the market.
04-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
that is why you don't see anything on the market
Sometimes creative 3rd party manufacturers have been known to bring to market products that meet a need manufacturers did not originally cater for. eBay abounds with gadgets that are examples of that.
04-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #7

Good Morning,

I have tried to replicate this grip. Im not having much luck, I have recreated a aC charger using another 'Hack'. But the grip I can not seem to get to work.

I have modified the grip and dummies. I have soldered the dummies to the grip. I am getting a voltage using both A4 Ni-MH1.2V 2300mAh batteries and using the LP-E5 7.2 2100mAh batteries.

I am using the exact same solder and wiring layout as I did for the AC charger, but when I switch the camera on nothing. Try the A4 on their own it switches on.

There were 3 wires in the grip I had White, Red and black. I figured Red and black were + & - and removed the white as I assumed that was a cntrol wire.

I can send you images if you require.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Lee Samuel