Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
TriggerTrap Mobile + IR Remote = App driven remote shutter release
Posted By: RoyT, 08-27-2013, 03:44 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This is an amendment of Jim Johnson's DIY article which modified a generic Pentax IR remote so that it would be triggered by an output from a TriggerTrap Mobile. This will allow the use of either an Android phone or iPad to use the app's functions to remotely trigger the IR input of a Pentax camera. This ought to work with ANY camera. Note: the app needs to be set up as UNIVERSAL CAMERA to be used with a K-r.

Attached Files
File Type: doc TriggerTrap camera remote 26 August 2013.doc (471.0 KB, 1007 views)

Views: 5,652
01-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

First, thanks for providing this detailed guide. Second, I have a question (note: I am not that great with electronics): would it be possible to simply solder an infrared LED to a 2.5mm jack, which is then simply connected to the Triggertrap dongle?
(something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infrared-Emitter-IR-iPhone-iPad-ANDROID-CANON-NIKON-...item19e6da0c9b)
01-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BadVlad Quote
First, thanks for providing this detailed guide. Second, I have a question (note: I am not that great with electronics): would it be possible to simply solder an infrared LED to a 2.5mm jack, which is then simply connected to the Triggertrap dongle?
(something like this: Infrared Emitter IR iPhone iPad Android Canon Nikon Pentax Sony Olympus Irmitter | eBay)
I'm not sure I follow which part you are plugging into the next part.... But regardless, the short answer is the IR transmitter in your post won't work with the Triggertrap Mobile App.

The Triggertrap Mobile app (iOS or Android) is outputting an audio signal specific to the Triggertrap dongle. The audio signal created by the Triggertrap Mobil app is highly unlikely to be the same signal needed by the IR port on your camera. So you can't just plug the IR transmitter into your mobile device; you still need the dongle.

And the Triggertrap dongle is converting the audio signal into a simple on/off switch. So you can't just add the IR transmitter to the dongle (besides, they also both have 2.5mm MALE connectors). This means you still need a Pentax compatible IR remote which you will modify so the dongle's on/off switch will trigger the IR remote's on/off switch.

Pay a friend who knows how to use a soldering iron to modify a remote for you. With the plans in hand, the modification will take less than an hour. I think it took me less than a half-hour to do my last modified remote.
01-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'm not sure I follow which part you are plugging into the next part.... But regardless, the short answer is the IR transmitter in your post won't work with the Triggertrap Mobile App.

The Triggertrap Mobile app (iOS or Android) is outputting an audio signal specific to the Triggertrap dongle. The audio signal created by the Triggertrap Mobil app is highly unlikely to be the same signal needed by the IR port on your camera. So you can't just plug the IR transmitter into your mobile device; you still need the dongle.

And the Triggertrap dongle is converting the audio signal into a simple on/off switch. So you can't just add the IR transmitter to the dongle (besides, they also both have 2.5mm MALE connectors). This means you still need a Pentax compatible IR remote which you will modify so the dongle's on/off switch will trigger the IR remote's on/off switch.

Pay a friend who knows how to use a soldering iron to modify a remote for you. With the plans in hand, the modification will take less than an hour. I think it took me less than a half-hour to do my last modified remote.
Understood. Thank you for taking the time to reply and Happy New Year!

01-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Clarification

The TriggerTrap output appears to be an electronic switch. It does not supply power to an external device. Please be aware that I did not attempt to reverse engineer the TriggerTrap dongle. I would consider that as a violation of the designer's rights. My assessment comes from years of engineering experience and a review of the TriggerTrap help information. I believe I left a link to their site.
That said, any IR LED such as the one you referenced would not work because it would not receive power or signal from the TriggerTrap dongle. The reason why I modified the cheap, IR transmitter was that I could take advantage of the "switch only" output from the TriggerTrap and use that to turn on the IR transmitter to communicate with the camera. The "switch only" output from the dongle parallels the pushbutton on the IR transmitter. When the TriggerTrap operates, it acts like you pushed the button on the IR transmitter. Make sense?
As my friend, Jim, said, if you have a friend who can solder well, you can make the modifications easily to the IR transmitter and create your own remote triggering device.