Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Comprehensive Rebuild Guide: Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.9/85
Posted By: jbondo, 06-22-2014, 07:42 PM

All,

I've put together what I hope is a most helpful annotated guide to servicing the Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.9/85. I left a few things out that I wanted to include (this is the first instructional guide I've made) but in any case I hope that you will find it to be first-class. I welcome any feedback you may have since this is my first major post to PF.

JB Media | S-M-C Takumar 1.9 85mm Refurbish

I've 100% rebuilt quite a number now: most models in the Takumar series from 20mm-300mm, and a few from the K and M series. I'm meticulous. Typical rebuilds with no complications take me about 3-4 hours to complete. Longer for the more complicated lenses.

Mods, can someone please add this to the Pentax Lens Disassembly Database? thanks.

I'm all ears if you have any questions, or if you have suggestions on which guide to make next.

Regards,
jbondo

---------- Post added 06-22-14 at 09:53 PM ----------

Newbie mistake, Looks like I should have posted this to "Maintenance and Repair Articles". Can a mod move it there?
Views: 3,116
06-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My compliments thats an excellent guide.

My only suggestion would be to do this as a disassembly rather than a reassembly guide - more helpful IMO.
06-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks much, It takes a loooong time to make the photos and annotate all the slides so it's nice to hear you like it. I agree, it's more useful to start with the disassembly so I'll do that on the next one.
06-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PS that you with the reflector and your astro shots?

06-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for asking. Yup, that's me and a few shots.

The thinner scope is a 1200mm/F8 refractor, and the thicker is a much modified 1016mm/F4 Schmidt-Newtonian which I sometimes use with a reducer for effective 781mm/F3.75.

Although it can be a technically demanding pursuit, I most enjoy the peace and solitude that come with the quiet time.
06-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
Thanks for asking. Yup, that's me and a few shots.

The thinner scope is a 1200mm/F8 refractor, and the thicker is a much modified 1016mm/F4 Schmidt-Newtonian which I sometimes use with a reducer for effective 781mm/F3.75.

Although it can be a technically demanding pursuit, I most enjoy the peace and solitude that come with the quiet time.
Right - Meade 10". Thats some serious kit. I still have a 6" mirror in the attic from the newtonian I built as a teen. Everything has changed so much since then, amateurs can do serious stuff with a good scope, mount, laptop and software. Love the pic of the ? orion nebula.
06-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right, M42 Orion Nebula. The "digital revolution" "in amateur astro-imaging was in full effect by 2004 and I was an early adopter. It's come a long ways even since then. Ahhh, how technology marches on... heck, now you can just pay a small amount to simply 'rent' time on big remote-controlled setups (like Welcome to the Slooh Community Observatory to explore the cosmos) and take photos to your heart's content on a huge scope without all the hassle of huge amounts of gear. But all the same, I find great value in getting out to the dark sky sites in person. Even if it is more trouble, there's something about the connectedness of being there in person.