Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DiY Lens Holding Plate
Posted By: JimmyDranox, 07-08-2014, 11:16 AM

Some time ago, I so on this forum a plate made by Tamron, and I look for something like that to buy, but I didn't find. So I decided to made one. Or better two.

So, I have bought to Arca Swiss plates, and when they came, I begin to search for a solution to change in in the way I want. Finally, last week, I made them, and I tested several day. I used aluminum and Finland birch plywood. But I better let the photos to speak.

My conclusions after testing are:

1. It's much easy to hold the lens, and the system is more stable handheld than before.

2. I can turn the focal range ring, and the focusing ring, just with my fingers, without losing the target, as it happens sometime before.

3. Of course, I can put my lens on a tripod, and back, much easy, without screwing the plate, and the confort of holding is much bigger than holding the lens just with the simple Arca Swiss plate, or with the original lens plate.

4. Some unexpected result. I can hang the lens to my belt, or even to a pocket, when I want to change it.

Attached Images

Views: 2,801
07-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very neat. I think I can see how you have made them. I don't know what an Arca plate looks like but I'm sure I can find a pic on the 'net.

Do you have any pics taken during the construction phase, particularly before you painted them?
07-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't have photos of the construction phase, but I will make some for a plate dismantled, because as usual, I made it to be easily broken in pieces.
07-10-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are the photos:

1. Arca Swiss plate, on a Arca Swiss clamp, on a ball head.

2. My plate dismantled. Is a Arca plate, a connecting piece, made of aluminum, the hand support piece, made of plywood, and the screws used to hold the parts together. The hand piece was finished by hand, with a file.

3. A Tamron 70-200mm with my plate mounted on a different tripod.

Attached Images

07-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Thanks Jimmy. Very nice. Thanks for dismantling it. Did you bend the plywood or did you carve the curvature into it? Buying really nice ply here isn't so easy. But I think I could laminate some marine ply, maybe bending it before laminating.

One of these would be great with my DA*60-250 which I don't really want to drop!

I'll look into making something to adapt to my tripods.
07-10-2014, 04:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did't bend the plywood. In fact, there are three pieces of aircraft modelling plywood, of different thickness, two of 5mm and one of 2.5mm, and different length, to get the crued shape necessary for combining to the connecting piece, glued one over another, and then carved to reach the desired shape.
07-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Very nice workmanship! It looks like it came out of a factory! Thanks for sharing.
07-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. It can be done better. But I didn't want to buy some proper paint for two small pieces, so I used ceramic paint, and a varnish, that I already has.

07-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I did't bend the plywood. In fact, there are three pieces of aircraft modelling plywood, of different thickness, two of 5mm and one of 2.5mm, and different length, to get the crued shape necessary for combining to the connecting piece, glued one over another, and then carved to reach the desired shape.
Thanks. I should check my aero and boat modelling stuff. I haven't looked at that stuff for years. I'm sure to have some nice plywood in there. I should get back into modelling. I did it for 30 years but stopped 25 years ago when I moved overseas for work. Never got back into it on my return to Australia. I still have all my models, engines, radios, and kits in the garage.
07-10-2014, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Happy days when we was young, and we have dreamed that we can fly to the stars. Now, I use this stuff to build a new body for my 300/1200mm Newton telescope, because the factory one is to large for my bones. So, in a way, I'm still dreaming.

I'm sure that you will find not only some good materials in your garage, but something more....
07-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done and an ingenious idea. A palm rest certainly makes manipulating the lens zoom and focus rings much easier. Adding the 'pod mount plate is a plus.
07-22-2014, 04:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. The next will be a plate for camera, to replace the L plate I have now, and I didn't like it. Hope to make it until September.