Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
16 Likes  #1
Flash door DIY repair (AF-540FGZ) using Legos
Posted By: mikeSF, 05-26-2015, 08:44 PM

I have owned 3 of these v.1 AF-540FGZ flashes and figured eventually the flimsy battery door was bound to break. The design includes three tiny plastic nubs molded onto the flash housing side, that eventually wear down or snap off. One of my nubs has worn off, causing the door not to stay closed and i have been using rubber wirst bands, tape, even a bulky C-clamp to keep the door closed, but finally found a working solution that does not block the viewing screen nor any of the buttons.

I used 2-part epoxy to affix three lego pieces strategically on the door and surrounding the door. then simply close the door and lock a single large lego piece or individual crossbar pieces to lock it shut. It is working just fine now and i can even attach little Lego men if i want for some whimsy.

Check it out and good luck if you are having trouble getting replacement parts:

Views: 10,086
05-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is just SO cool. An excellent solution.

Regards

Chris
05-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, very very nice.
05-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea Mike. It's amazing how many adult uses there are for Legos that I never think of.

05-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Great idea Mike. It's amazing how many adult uses there are for Legos that I never think of.
when you have three kids, often those darned things are right under your feet, waiting to be re-purposed.
05-27-2015, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

What is the plastic moulding version of steam punk?
Nice job!

---------- Post added 05-27-15 at 05:35 PM ----------

Alternately you can create a Lego gorilla pod and use the Lego on the flash to attach it ;-)
05-27-2015, 12:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And you can make the battery door any Lego colour you want, in true Pentax fashion!

Regards,
--Anders.

05-27-2015, 02:11 AM   #8

Excellent DIY repair/modification! Normal epoxy might not bond well to the plastic used in the Lego pieces so don't be surprised if they eventually come off. JB Weld Plastic Bonder or JB Weld PlasticWeld is what I would have used. These are formulated to bond to most plastics including Teflon. For best results the secret is to follow the directions and rough up the bonding services with some sand paper first.
05-27-2015, 03:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
when you have three kids, often those darned things are right under your feet, waiting to be re-purposed.
I've got three kids too. When legos are under my feet I end up stepping on them, screaming in pain (seriously, a lego in the arch of your bare foot is ridiculous), and threatening to throw them all away.
Maybe I should threaten to steal them and use them to fix my stuff.

Last edited by geomez; 05-27-2015 at 03:11 AM.
05-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
That is just SO cool. An excellent solution.

Regards

Chris
thanks Chris!

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Nice, very very nice.
thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
...the plastic moulding version of steam punk?
!
indeed.

---------- Post added 05-27-15 at 05:35 PM ----------

Alternately you can create a Lego gorilla pod and use the Lego on the flash to attach it ;-)
brilliant idea to connect other things

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
And you can make the battery door any Lego colour you want, in true Pentax fashion!
"a Ricoh/Pentax/Lego product"

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Excellent DIY repair/modification! Normal epoxy might not bond well to the plastic used in the Lego pieces so don't be surprised if they eventually come off. JB Weld Plastic Bonder or JB Weld PlasticWeld is what I would have used. These are formulated to bond to most plastics including Teflon. For best results the secret is to follow the directions and rough up the bonding services with some sand paper first.
ok thx. I used an epoxy that lists plastic first so figured it can handle it. I also prepped the surfaces with a file and used a plastic bonding prep product. Let everything set 24hrs.

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I've got three kids too. When legos are under my feet I end up stepping on them, screaming in pain (seriously, a lego in the arch of your bare foot is ridiculous), and threatening to throw them all away.
Maybe I should threaten to steal them and use them to fix my stuff.
I have thrown away so many Lego pieces over the years for the exact reason. Time for my retribution.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Ha, nice hack! Now you just have to come up with a lego-based system for attaching accessories and you'll have really turned some lemons into lemonade.
I like that idea alot. For now, I am working on a Star Wars and a Hogwarts themed "skin"
05-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The AF-360FGZ has the same problem. So far, blue painter's tape has worked to keep the battery door closed w/o leaving sticky residue, but the lego solution is brilliant. Thanks for sharing, I'll see if the 360 has adequate surfaces to work with for this solution.

BTW, the Mark II, WR versions of theses two flashes have more robust battery doors that will not develop the door problem.

Another BTW is that I think it's unfortunate that, after having bothered to develop the two new WR versions, that the K-S2 has no wireless flash function, nor will the FF. The trade-off on the FF is clear. Why the K-S2 dropped full flash control that erstwhile was on the K-50/K-30/K-5/K-3 boggles the mind, given renewed attention the the flash line-up.
05-27-2015, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #12

And if you photograph kids, put a Lego figure standing there and ask them to make questions to your assistant. They will stare right to you.

I would overengineer that and buy some pneumatic Technic Legos and build something funny.
05-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty awesome!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2015, 04:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

MacGyver would be proud...
05-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Didn't realise Lego came in Black bricks... has a quick paint job happened here too.