Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cheap bench top power supply
Posted By: Altheim, 03-02-2018, 06:01 PM

I recently picked up an *ist DL body that was listed as broken/for parts due to a the flashing battery battery issue that seems to be common. The owner could not tell me if anything else was wrong since he could not get the camera to turn on. I bought the unit to scavenge for another unit but wanted to find out how functional it was before anything else. I putz around with low voltage electronics and had a variable 1-12v DC Chinese power supply kit that I got on the Bay for $11.00 that I thought would do the job.

I then dug through my miscellaneous plugs and found a .187 dia. female plug from a universal kit I got at some point. After confirming the plug polarity I soldered on leads made from a roll of doorbell wire I use for this type of thing. A little shrink tubing and a twist in the drill and I was good to go.

The power supply is a little light on the current side and you need to have batteries in the unit to avoid excessive draw. But it does hold a pretty steady 6.5 volts unless you start running through menus and then there is a drop but not so much the unit shuts down.

I was able to get the unit up and test all the functions. Turns out it was fully functional and just needed the battery terminals cleaned up!

Total cost was probably less than $15.00

Attached Images

Views: 1,153
03-03-2018, 02:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice one.

I have never seen a camera connected to a bench power supply before!
03-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

That's great, thanks for sharing.
03-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
awesome! now make it ring a doorbell for af lock