Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
PK Tether and a 15 meter USB cable
Posted By: Altheim, 03-24-2018, 06:03 PM

I just received my USB cable for my new (used) K20D and frankly was pissed because Remote Assistant was just not working. Pretty sketchy program anyway. But I did find references to PK Tether on the forums and after downloading it I was happy to find it worked seamlessly right off. Now how to extend the reach so I could shoot birds on the feeders without freezing. The answer was a 6 foot USB extension and a 50 foot Cat-5 cable. I split the extension in two and lopped off the plugs on the Cat-5 and after a bit of work with the soldering iron had me a 15 meter USB extension cable. I was able to set the K20D up on a tripod and sit in my family room shooting away without freezing or spooking the birds. I really like the options available in PK Tether and as a newbie it gave me a chance to mess around real time with the settings. I have included some of the shots. Enjoy and provide any critical advice as well.

Attached Images

Views: 1,888
03-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

The limit for cable length without active hubs or repeater cable for USB 2 is about (according to specs) 5 meters and USB 3 recommends 3 meters max.

Max length for USB 2 with a repeater cable is 25 meters.
03-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
15 meter usb cable

While I am aware of the specs for USB cable length I am also aware that I have exceeded these lengths in the past with no issues. With the tether cable I did have some initialization issues and had to try several times for a connection but once the contact was established the software worked seamlessly for the duration of the session. I used no boosters or hubs in the circuit. It seemed worth trying and worked.