Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tripod Collar for the 645 A* 300/4
Posted By: rdenney, 03-30-2018, 07:30 PM

I have long used a cheap knockoff of the lens collar for a Canon 70-200 2.8L (any version) as the collar for the very heavy Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300/4. When I received my 645 A* 300/4, I wondered if there was some similar ripoff of a Canon collar out there that would fit. (The Sonnar already has a collar, but with a foot about the size of a nickel that defies solid mounting on, well, anything.)

(The CZJ Sonnar on an Exakta 66.)

As it turns out, that very collar can be made to fit easily. As it comes, it's slightly too large. The ring is 78mm and the lens is 75.5mm. So, I got out my big sheet of self-stick leatherette, and cut two strips, the width and circumference of the inside of the collar. I applied one of those strips to the inside of the collar, and the other to the barrel of the lens just in front of the aperture ring. The leatherette may be a temporary solution--the lens doesn't exactly turn smoothly with two leatherette surfaces rubbing against each other, even with the screw loosened all the way.

The collar for that particular Canon lens does not have a hinge, so slipping it over the aperture ring is a bit snug. I turn it so the joint passes over the raised stop on the aperture ring.

They are selling these on ebay, in black, with feet that include the Arca-Swiss dovetail, which keeps one from having to buy a lens plate. The balance point (at least with a film camera) is right under the foot, so this should work, especially if the tripod has a long clamp (as mine does).

I'm just thankful this lenses doesn't need the 86mm filters of that Sonnar.

Other Canon lenses that use that collar are the 100-400L, the 235-350L, and the 300/4L.

Rick "going to ebay to pick one of those black ones" Denney

Last edited by rdenney; 03-30-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Views: 602
5 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, so this just didn't work. Motion blue on every shot. It looked good, and it felt sturdy, but it just isn't enough.

So, I followed the lead of another poster and found Orion telescope rings for the Orion Observer 70. One of the rings has a 1/4-20 thread for piggybacking a camera, and one can attach a lens plate to that spot. These are very heavily constructed and adequately rigid. The lens plate needs a hole drilled for an anti-twist pin, but that's all. It adjusts easily and tightens very securely, and it's also quickly removeable.

I found it on Amazon as "Orion 7369 76mm ID Telescope Tube Rings," at a price of $33, with free shipping.

Here it is:

Of course, the lens plate is extra.

I hope I didn't lead anyone too far astray.

Rick "the proof is in the images" Denney