Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lens Scatches repaires to abrasive # 6 micron and/or finer.
Posted By: gmans, 07-11-2018, 11:54 AM

Have # 6 micron and was clean up old glass and then repair hope contrast to the glass.

Anyhow quick little repair or leave it to paper weight. Thanks. Cheers
Views: 567
07-11-2018, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure what you want to do but if the lens coating is damaged it cannot be repaired. I believe a polishing abrasive would remove the coating and that would reduce the contrast of the lens.
07-11-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

How bad are the scratches?

If they are so bad to hurt image quality, I think the amount of glass you'll need to grind off will have other negative effects on the image quality, such as removing coatings and leaving microstratches over a larger area.

I've read about a trick using a black marker to darken scratches. A black scratch won't flare as much as an untreated scratch. Be careful about permanently staining too much of the lens, though. Trace over a scratch, then immediately wipe off the ink using a lens cloth lightly moistened with an appropriate cleaner (alcohol, lens cleaning, even water might work if you work quickly) so that only ink inside the scratch is left. Test the ink and cleaner on some junk glass first. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF THIS RUINS YOUR LENS.
07-11-2018, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Have # 6 micron and was clean up old glass and then repair hope contrast to the glass.

Anyhow quick little repair or leave it to paper weight. Thanks. Cheers
At the very least, you'll remove the coatings which is going to make the contrast worse still. At worst, you'll change the shape of the element and reduce the optical performance, and/or leave even more micro-abrasions that will make the contrast worse.

If you're not already shooting with a suitable hood on the lens, I'd recommend you do so. That will limit the amount of light coming from outside the lens' field of view.

As @DeadJohn mentions, if you have one or two deeper scratches (on the front element) you can fill these in using black marker or, probably better still, flat black paint (water based acrylic is a good choice). This won't show up on your images.

If all else fails, keep the lens for spares. I've repaired several lenses with parts from my spares box

07-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I am not sure what you want to do but if the lens coating is damaged it cannot be repaired. I believe a polishing abrasive would remove the coating and that would reduce the contrast of the lens.
The best will try a old filter. Thank you and all.

---------- Post added 07-12-18 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
How bad are the scratches?

If they are so bad to hurt image quality, I think the amount of glass you'll need to grind off will have other negative effects on the image quality, such as removing coatings and leaving microstratches over a larger area.

I've read about a trick using a black marker to darken scratches. A black scratch won't flare as much as an untreated scratch. Be careful about permanently staining too much of the lens, though. Trace over a scratch, then immediately wipe off the ink using a lens cloth lightly moistened with an appropriate cleaner (alcohol, lens cleaning, even water might work if you work quickly) so that only ink inside the scratch is left. Test the ink and cleaner on some junk glass first. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF THIS RUINS YOUR LENS.
The response definitly myself. Like black out the idea. Thanks Cheers

---------- Post added 07-12-18 at 05:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
At the very least, you'll remove the coatings which is going to make the contrast worse still. At worst, you'll change the shape of the element and reduce the optical performance, and/or leave even more micro-abrasions that will make the contrast worse.

If you're not already shooting with a suitable hood on the lens, I'd recommend you do so. That will limit the amount of light coming from outside the lens' field of view.

As @DeadJohn mentions, if you have one or two deeper scratches (on the front element) you can fill these in using black marker or, probably better still, flat black paint (water based acrylic is a good choice). This won't show up on your images.

If all else fails, keep the lens for spares. I've repaired several lenses with parts from my spares box
Will be doing as your idea and keeping the bits. Thank you and best. Cheers