Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
DIY Auto Focus Rail
Posted By: AggieDad, 07-17-2018, 01:03 PM

It is time for me to have an auto-focus rail for my macro set-up. Rather than just go out and spend my money on a WeMacro or a StackShot, I thought I would first spend my money and time trying to build my own.

Well, I looked at every version of a homebuilt rail that has ever been posted on the Internet, made some decisions (and deferred some others) and ordered all the necessary (hopefully) bits and pieces. Now I am ready to get started.

Understand that other than assembling a crystal radio when in the Boy Scouts in the 1950s, I have never done anything with electronics – zip, zilch, nada. I never even considered buying a Heathkit (do you remember Heathkits?), let alone try to assemble one. So this will be a singular moment for me.

It's a perfect time do this – it is July in Houston and I am old.

So if this all works, I will be back to post my brags – complete with photos. If this all bombs, you will never see another mention of it. I will quietly go away to lick my wounds and order my WeMacro or StackShot.

Don

Last edited by AggieDad; 07-17-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Views: 1,775
07-17-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good for you! But, even if it bombs, show us! You will get plenty of help making it work. If nothing else, you will show me what not to do. I'm looking forward to progress reports!
07-17-2018, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great project, I'd love to follow and see what you come up with functioning or not.
I do remember Heathkit and Radio Shack projects from my Boy Scout days.
Haven't gotten around to using a rail yet myself and have had the curiosity for a while.
A DIY step by step on what works well and what needs other thought could be very useful.
Keep us informed!
07-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with this and I hope this works and even if it doesn't we can all learn from your experience. I have a bit of experience tinkering with opto-electronics and others may have much more, so don't hesitate to ask for help.