Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Let's get dirty with the light ring
Posted By: CapitanXeon, 08-07-2018, 04:36 PM

A week ago changed my computer fans, and this means that i have two light rings available to install onto my camera as that thingy i wanted to do for some time.

I did try a first take on it, and while it looks sketchy, it actually works, but is going to have some severe changes.

I wanted to show it here and also, take some advice from you, more experimented people.

By the way, i'm going for a single 18650 instead of a sandwich of two "book" batteries, and then pump the voltage with a buck. this way i'm going to be able to charge the battery with my existing TP4056 modules.
What concerns me more is the fact i'm needing something to attach the light to the lens instead to the camera, as this is going to be useless for reverse lens macro, and that is almost the main point because i'm doing this. Ideas? I even thought about salvaging an UV filter.

Also thought about phone cable. You know, that spring shaped ankward cable that let it expand if you pull, but otherwise is somewhat tidy. I'm for it, but i don't have one nearby so it's test cable by now.
And, whatever it is, is going to need a enclosure. I have to options, 3D print an entire enclosure, or just print the hot shoe and attach it to whatever it fits the supply system.
I don't feel like i'm missing things, the pushbutton is gonna be replaced as...you know, is ankward to press the shutter and a pushbutton at the same time to have this lighted, so i'm for a switch.

I hope the idea is not as absurd as most things i say here...!

Attached Images

Views: 1,085
08-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those are the lights from your computer fans? What color temperature are they?
08-08-2018, 02:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Those are the lights from your computer fans? What color temperature are they?
Nah, those were the without fan until i got new fans. As long my eyes doesn't lie, looks like they are 6000K, not bluish at all. It would be cool to get and RGB system to play with light colours and may look into it in a future, but by now i just need white light.
08-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

I don't know any technical details but I think this is so cool. Are you planning on using it for macro? or portraits? I'd love to see some pictures taken with it.

08-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
I don't know any technical details but I think this is so cool. Are you planning on using it for macro? or portraits? I'd love to see some pictures taken with it.
I plan to set it as much as i can, i plan a lot of macro with it, but also night portraits should turn out very well with it instead of the "point" that makes the embedded flash. I want to see the actual angel eyes on my subjects
08-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Awesome idea!

Regarding mounting this light on a reversed lens, how about scavenging the mount ring from a dead Pentax body and epoxying the mount ring to a spider of three or four arms that hold the light-ring. You'd have a K-mount macro light (extra credit if you somehow keep the lens-release button working). The battery pack could still sit on the hot shoe with curly cable connected to the light.
08-08-2018, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Awesome idea!

Regarding mounting this light on a reversed lens, how about scavenging the mount ring from a dead Pentax body and epoxying the mount ring to a spider of three or four arms that hold the light-ring. You'd have a K-mount macro light (extra credit if you somehow keep the lens-release button working). The battery pack could still sit on the hot shoe with curly cable connected to the light.
I thought about the cheap version of this, using a lens mount cap. I might consider buying a 52mm reverser for my other lens, and i would have it tidy and nice with the curly cable (thanks for the word, didn't get to it) and just mounting the cap with a hole on the center and on the most retarded mount point possible for the ring, to avoid both structural issues with the cap, and also flares, that i didn't think about until i saw my 28mm photos, not to mention if i ever get a 18-55 for general photography (which is not going to be the best for portraits, and worse at night, but better cover all possible scenarios). Also the sctructural thing can be reinforced if I build something like a plate instead relying on arms, because i can reinforce a plate a little better, and also is going to stop any light coming back to me and difficulting me to manual focus if i get flares on my glasses.

Bear in mind that my 50mm is living with a reverse ring attached "for life", i just switch it with the 28mm if i ever need such a heavy macro, but with 50mm i'm fine so i just keep it mounted. Is not going to be a hassle at all, so i guess i might try with the most basic and cheap caps i can find, and give it a shot (never better said).

I already ordered the MT3608 i need for this, i ordered 10 just in case those are cheap and my body is actually working with one of these, very stable output, so if it can bring a body to life, it can definetely bring a LED ring to life.

I attached a 100% crop from a 10MP photo of what i get with a 28mm macro pointing to my computer screen. Is such a crazy thing that i don't worry about switching the ring because it happens once in a while. And i guess is going to be better to craft this with a reverser, than trying to engineer a whole thing that can attach to a bare lens, just pointless.

Just bought this caps, lets see how they behave! As they have a flange, i'll just do a hole on a wood plate and glue them with whatever adhesive is going to work here. Black paint, and boom, quality.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by CapitanXeon; 08-08-2018 at 06:27 PM.
08-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
Today i got a Hyuga 202 and a factory curled cable from a car phone charger, so i'll be doing the electric assembly until the boosts and caps arrive. I'm impatient!
Finally it will be powered by a 18650 battery, rated at 2000mAh, and there will be the needed modules to charge the battery and convert its 4.2V to the 10-11 needed volts. I should do something to track the battery voltage, as my camera behaves strange when the batteries fall of 3.2V (luckily) but a led ring will kill the battery at a slow pace.