Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DIY K-70 L-Bracket
Posted By: Dale H. Cook, 05-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Necessity, it is said, is the mother of invention. I wanted a sturdy L-bracket for my K-70 with Manfrotto RC2 plates. Manfrotto makes a nice one already equipped with RC2 plates, but I am (mostly) retired so I was not about to spend $140 for their bracket when I am saving up for more expensive photographic toys. I looked at a number of aftermarket brackets but putting RC2 plates on them would be a chore. I finally built my own with the help of a friend who has a machine shop filling his garage (his Lexus has to sit out in the rain). It is built with 1/4" aluminum bar stock and that strikes the right balance between light weight and ruggedness. It clears the mic/remote shutter port so I can still use that, and is small enough to comfortably fit in my camera bag. Details are available on my web site.

Attached Images

Views: 423
05-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
friend who has a machine shop filling his garage (his Lexus has to sit out in the rain)
Sounds like about the proper trade-off. I keep telling my wife "If somebody offers you a milling machine, the answer is 'YES' "!
05-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have a very well equipped electronics shop in my house, and my Explorer is in effect a well equipped electronics shop on wheels for work. I am moderately well set for woodworking at home (I used my table saw earlier this evening), but I am not set up for machining. My friend has a milling and boring machine, a machine lathe, a heavy-duty drill press, a metal brake, and all sorts of other machine tools. It is good to have well-equipped friends.

I like DIY. I am most of the way through a DIY project of getting equipped for a try at taking professional quality gravestone photos with a specially equipped off-camera speedlight. Old gravestones face east, and in order to have the face of the stone sunlit in such a way that the carving is in optimal shadow photographers have had to work in a window just before the sun reaches the zenith when it is at a 20 to 30 degree angle to the face of the stone. The hardest part of using a speedlight to light the stone at the proper angle is in overcoming the inverse square law.