Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
My Ugliest DIY
Posted By: Dale H. Cook, 05-26-2019, 06:56 AM

I am no woodwright, just a butcher with a table saw. That was proved when I tired of having to pick up the camera frequently to take shots of what I was working on at my electronics workbench. Whenever I am disassembling an electronic or mechanical item for repair or modification I find it best to be systematic. I record notes on my pocket voice recorder, store small parts in a succession of numbered and labeled coin envelopes and numbered and labeled yogurt tubs, and store the envelopes, tubs, and large parts in a labeled box until the project has been completed. I also like to take lots of photos to insure that I can put things back together correctly. Using a hand-held camera has drawbacks including the fact that it is difficult to take good photos looking straight down on the bench. I built a very ugly and crude, but quite functional, mount to hold the camera above the bench. Working the camera in that position, and looking at the LCD, are awkward when it is mounted, but I only have to work the zoom, as I view, focus, and shoot with the K-70 networked to my laptop. I use Wifi Commander for Pentax on the laptop to view and control the camera. More information is available here.
Views: 924
05-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
I built a very ugly and crude, but quite functional, mount to hold the camera above the bench.
Looks like a practical, low (no?)-cost solution. Hey, if it works, then the minor cosmetic 'flaws' can be overlooked and soon forgotten!

Non-plumb joists, heating ducts, scrap wood, a bracket from one of the storage bins, one or two mis-drilled holes... I've been there in my numerous projects.

At my camera repair bench, I use a small Canon P&S camera to record disassembly steps. The lighting isn't the best, but it works well for close-up pictures. Your approach with a mounted K-70 seems to be a step above.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-26-2019 at 08:02 AM.
05-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Although this mount is ugly it does the job".

Then it is awesome