Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need Some Help: looking for a small "pin wrench"

I am looking for a small "pin wrench" to remove a brass nut that is designed to be flush and round. My problem is finding the proper size wrench. The pin holes are on approximately 10mm centers. The pin holes themselves are approximately 2mm in diameter and 1-1/2 to 2 mm in depth.

If you know of a source for a small pin wrench, I would appreciate the information. Larger pin wrenches are pretty easy to find, but I haven't found (obviously I am not looking in the right place) one for pin holes this small.

Thanks in advance.

07-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would something like a 'lens spanner' work?

Example: amazon.com : Neewer Professional Curved Tips DSLR Camera Lens Spanner Wrench Repairing Opening Tool Stainless Steel for Most DSLR Cameras : Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&

A couple of caveats: If the nut is in really tight, the type of spanner at the Amazon link might not bear up to a significant lateral or torsional force. In that case, secure vise-grips across the spanner legs at a point just above the protruding bolt. Also, for your 10-mm span, might be best to get the type with the 'offset' tips as shown. The tips could be ground or filed to widen them to give a snugger fit in the holes.

Oh, I've seen a "pin wrench" also called a "pin spanner", which might help in your search.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-22-2019 at 04:52 PM.
07-23-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you search on Amazon or Ebay for "pin wrench 2mm" you should be able to find some suitable tool I believe.
07-23-2019, 01:46 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks to me you could turn that using a set of adjustable metal dividers.
ie something that looks like a compass like you draw circles with but with metal points on both sides instead of pencil lead.
You could buy a cheap pair and file the pointed ends to shape.

Attached Images

07-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your responses. Once I have this nut removed, I will be on my way to assembling my stepper-motor driven panorama photo mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Looks to me you could turn that using a set of adjustable metal dividers.
ie something that looks like a compass like you draw circles with but with metal points on both sides instead of pencil lead.
You could buy a cheap pair and file the pointed ends to shape.
Calsan - Brilliant! I have a pair of dividers and will try them this morning. I am only upset that I did not think of this myself without help and guidance having to come all the way from Australia.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Would something like a 'lens spanner' work?

Example: amazon.com : Neewer Professional Curved Tips DSLR Camera Lens Spanner Wrench Repairing Opening Tool Stainless Steel for Most DSLR Cameras : Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&

A couple of caveats: If the nut is in really tight, the type of spanner at the Amazon link might not bear up to a significant lateral or torsional force. In that case, secure vise-grips across the spanner legs at a point just above the protruding bolt. Also, for your 10-mm span, might be best to get the type with the 'offset' tips as shown. The tips could be ground or filed to widen them to give a snugger fit in the holes.

Oh, I've seen a "pin wrench" also called a "pin spanner", which might help in your search.
c.a.m - Many thanks for the link. These look like they will do the trick. I will fire up my Amazon Prime account if Caslan's dividers suggestion not does work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If you search on Amazon or Ebay for "pin wrench 2mm" you should be able to find some suitable tool I believe.
Fogel70 - I searched under small pin wrenches and had no luck – they only went down to 6mm pins. I did try 2mm pin wrench once and found one that, unfortunately, did not close to my 10mm distance between pins. I looked again this morning after you reiterated the 2mm qualification and had success. Thanks.
07-23-2019, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #6

Could also try a pair of Snap Ring Pliers...

07-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
Could also try a pair of Snap Ring Pliers...
That's what I thought also, since I have some with interchangeable pins of different diameters.