Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
DIY Telephoto Lens Bar
Posted By: Dale H. Cook, 05-09-2020, 08:27 PM

My newest DIY is a mounting bar for my telephoto lens. The lens is a Rokinon 650Z 650-1300mm f/8-16 (no iris). I bought it about a year ago and it is a rather inexpensive lens (but works pretty well). I have always been concerned that the lens mounts to the tripod and the camera body is supported solely by the lens. My Pentax K-70 body is heavy enough that I was worried, especially when the lens is extended to 1300mm. I built a bar to mount to the tripod that would support both lens and body. The first photo is a top view of the bar, and the second a side view with extended lens (and my K-1000 body filling in for the K-70). See Star City Photos - Pentax K-70 Telephoto Lens Mounting Bar for details.

Attached Images

Views: 1,870
05-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good idea and a nice job. You should post some pics taken with the lens too just to show what it can do.
05-10-2020, 03:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
I will post some photos. I hope to take one on Tuesday, of what remains of a small wind-damaged covered bridge on private property. The closest I can get without trespassing is about 1/3 mile. When I make my next trip to photograph old mills in an adjacent county there is another shot that I will try. What may be the best view of one mill cannot be taken from closer than about 1/4 mile without trespassing. The last time I was there I did not have the big glass or tripod as I did not expect to need them on a preliminary trip (I knew I was coming back for final photos.
05-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that is one whale of a lens! If my math is right, it's like a 26X telescope on your K1000 or a 39X telescope on your K70. And with no iris, the bokeh should be really nice, right? I imagine your tripod needs to be as solid as a brick wall though. Anxious to see pics.

05-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I imagine your tripod needs to be as solid as a brick wall though. Anxious to see pics.
I still need to get a new tripod, but for now I am still using my ancient Focal 20-08-40. For those of you familiar only with the later and lighter tubular aluminum Focals sold at K-Mart the 20-08-40 might be a bit of a surprise. It is much heavier and has rectangular aluminum legs. It is stout enough to handle my big glass, especially with my new bar. No, it isn't professional grade, but it was aimed at the serious amateur, not the snapshotter. Here it is with my DIY speedlight boom for gravestone photography - I am in the process of doubling the length of that boom.
Attached Images