Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
14 Likes  
Tutorial: Repair E-Dials Pentax K7 / K5 / K5II / K3 and possibly others
Posted By: photogem, 01-10-2021, 03:31 AM

For: K7 / K5 / K5II /K5IIs / K3 / K3II (most likely KP as well)

The E-Dials of the professional Pentax bodies are different to those in the entry cameras.
I haven't checked yet on the K30/50/500 nor K-S1/K-S2/K-70 but those will either be similar as you can read in THIS TUTORIAL or similar to the K5/7/3 etc.

Disassembling is very easy because with the K7 and K3 only the TOP needs to come off for both E-Dials.
For the K5-Series the top-cover off will only give you access to the back E-Dial!

For the front-E-Dial of the K5-series
read HERE for more detailed instructions

Best to make some simple drawings or print photos of all sides and glue those onto a piece of cardboard.
Markings where the screws are located, pinch 2mm holes and then stick the screws inside there.
Tools:

- JIS 00 or 000 screwdriver: I use the Vessel 9902-set because I like the length which is usefull for the solenoid repairs as well as for the screw inside the battery-chamber. I don't like the Vessel T-Series very much, too flimsy and not strong enough. But a PH00 will do as well!

- DeoxIT FaderLube: But no contact cleaner. Avoid like hell!
- very small flat-blade screwdriver if you want to clean the ISO and EV buttons as well (which is sensible)

Warning: Although the contacts of the flash-condensor are well hidden behind the front-cover and thus there is not the usual shock-hazard as when the body is completly disassembled: Do not poke around in the flash-region itself, neither swallow the Li-Ion battery nor any other parts, because this might lead to different hazards which you definitely want to avoid! Not so if you work on the front E-Dial of the K5 Series. But this is explained in the given link!

1. Two screws behind the rubber eyecup:

2. Open pop-up-flash: Two screws there:

3. One screw deep inside the battery-chamber:

4. Two screws right side (grip):

5. Three screws left side (one is hidden underneath the rubber = green arrow):

Here the hidden one again (left red arrow):

You don't need to unscrew the one right behind the X-Sync-Socket (blue arrow) ! Only necessary if you want to take the front off!)

Now you can lift the TOP of your Pentax but be carefull, there are wires and flat-ribbon-cables!
Carefully place it on the left side without bending/hurting the cables/wires! Not difficult, just some care needed.

6. Three screws for the Top-LCD:

7. Two screws for the "Back-E-Dial":

8. Two screws for the "Front-E-Dial":

9. E-Dial:

- Spray a tiny amound of "DeoxIT FaderLube" onto this tiny potentiometer which sits on the green board.

- Clean leftovers right away off and mount it back onto the wheel with the 2 screws, turn the wheel several times into both directions!

- Same procedure for the front-E-Dial (I would always do both, even if it is just one not working alright!)

10. As you are already that far and the top-cover is lose, you now can clean the EV- and ISO-Buttons as well,
remove the three screws and clean them just with some isopropyl-alcohol or similar:

Each button is fixed with a tiny retaining ring (radial e-clip). You just losen it with a tiny flat-blade screwdriver and make sure, it doesn't jump off!
So this white blanket under the camera is a good idea.

Of course it makes sense to clean the ON/OFF-SWITCH at the same time at the same time with isopropyl-alcohol as well:
Use a cotton-swab and rub the lower-part carefully, another cotton-swap for those 3 fingers with 2 contact-points on each but only from the back to the front, so that you avoid bending them! They are a bit sensitive and must stay exactly in their position! Not that one bends them easely but they are made out of gold-plated beryllium-copper (spring-copper) which is strong and durable but I have seen some bent ones, then they need to be replaced. So just some care is needed.

Re-assemble everything

and enjoy how smooth the E-Dials work again!

Last edited by photogem; 02-06-2021 at 03:18 AM.
Views: 3,076
02-17-2021, 01:21 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amrocha Quote
Thanks for the tutorial!
I will try it in the upcoming weeks for fixing the ON/OFF button of my K-5 II that has been stuck and difficult to turn for almost 2 years now. Hope I am able to do it well.
For cleaning the "ON/OFF switch" and the "Shutter-Release-button" I wrote an extra tutorial:
Manual/Repair/clean On-Off-Switch / Shutter-Release-Button - PentaxForums.com

I have tried myself the warm-water-method but never was really happy with it.
The difference when such a switch/button is well cleaned is immediately noticable.

Maybe take photos when you do it an let us know (in the other tutorial of course)!

When your K5II is open, I would then anyway also clean those 2 dials with some compressed air and give them that tiny amount of DeoxIT Faderlube. Although expensive, I think it is worth it.