Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Repair E-Dial Pentax *ist-DS (DL/2, K100D, L110D, K200D, Samsung GX1)
Posted By: photogem, 02-09-2021, 07:23 AM

Repair of E-Dial of
Pentax *ist-DS, *ist-DS2 (Samsung GX1s)
Pentax *ist-DL/2 (Samsung GX1l)
Pentax K100D, K110D, K200D

Tools:
- JIS 00 or 000 screwdriver: I use the Vessel 9902-set because I like the length which is usefull for the solenoid repairs as well as for the screw inside the battery-chamber. I don't like the Vessel T-Series very much, too flimsy and not strong enough. But a PH00 will do as well!
- DeoxIT FaderLube: But no contact cleaner. Avoid like hell!
- A can with compressed air might be a good idea as well

Disassembly:
At least for the *ist DS/DS2 and Samsung GX1s a full disassembly is needed because one has to take off the back-part with the main LCD as well!
A connector with a flat ribbon-cable covers screw #3 and you need to lift the small Top-LCD to be able to reach the E-Dial!

With all others I cannot remember, too long time ago, maybe the back with the main LCD can stay.

You can see many details on my tutorial for how to replace the solenoid in the K30/50/500:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

- Take photos of all sides of your Pentax and print them out (or make drawings)
- Pinch 1-2mm holes where all the screws are located so you place those into these holes as they have different length!

- Hidden screws: 2 behind rubber eye-piece, 1 deep in the battery-chamber (no need to take the front side off, nor side with USB-out)

- To open the pop-up flash without having to charge the flash-condensor follow these instructions (I use a scalpel):

- Lift the Top-Part up and take care not to hurt any of the wires etc.!

- Remove the back with the main LCD: 2 flat ribbon cables

Now you have a relative "naked" body in front of yourself.

To get to the E-Dial you have to losen the Top-LCD:

1. Screw #1 is simple:

2. Screw #2 just hidden:

But to reach screw #3 you need to plug-off the connector off the back-LCD Part: Last photo: small blue arrow!

Screw #3 (after connector is unplugged):

4. Here you can see the wheel which is normally held in place by the "Top-LCD-Assembly":

But to be able to reach it, you need to lift the Top-LCD-assembly:

6. For this you need to deconnect this connector:

7. Remove the wheel (shown here upside-down) and clean it if necessary but don't lose that little bit of grease on its tip:

8. Now you have access to the small trimmer potentiometer:

9. Clean it with compressed air and spray "Craig DeoxIT FaderLube" into this potentiometer.

10. Reinstall the wheel, turn it a few times so that the DeoxIT has a chance to distribute better inside the potentionmeter and re-assemble everything again.

I know that the E-Dial if the K100D is similar located but screws are easier accessable:
You can see this here on this Czech video starting at about 19:04:
It is long time ago when I disassembled a K200D and *ist-DL but I am pretty sure it was similar.

Last edited by photogem; 02-09-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Views: 364