Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Automatic Panorama - Mark II version
Posted By: AggieDad, 04-07-2021, 02:23 PM

Last fall I finished an auto pano project (posted here). It worked a treat but was just too, too big. So I have reworked things (plenty of time thanks to winter and Covid) and decreased the size considerably.

The function is still the same but now it takes almost half as much space. To use it, I enter the lens focal length, the width of the pano in degrees, how many rows high I want it, and whether the camera is in landscape of portrait mode. It then calculates how many images are required, the aspect ratio of the final pano, & the approximate time to complete. Then it goes about taking the photos while I enjoy a refreshing beverage.

Here is are photos comparing the new version to the original (new on left). You can see the bulk that has been eliminated. Essentially I eliminated a 6" x 6" x 4" box which is a big piece of bulk. It was this big to accommodate a 4-line display and a full keypad. For the new version I used a 2-line display and a 4-button pad. Rather than keying in info up-down buttons are used to scroll. It works a treat.

The next project is to substitute smaller servo-motors (these are big enough for Ansel Adams' camera) and try to redesign the arms to fold for packing. But that is for next winter. Right now I hope to get out to some places where I can take some interesting panos this summer.

Views: 1,063
04-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
amazing job!
04-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Impressive! Looking forward to seeing some great pans in the future. Have fun!