Show Printable Version Search this Thread

DIY: Making a Flash Bouncer
Posted By: tcdk, 09-13-2008, 07:03 AM

DIY Flash Bouncer gallery/description

Views: 24,944
02-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Ok I played around and constructed a flash bounce very similar to yours as well and I would like to post my very unscientific and perhaps practical results in your thread.
Using the 360 FGZ:

Using diffuser of the flash pointed right at subject

Maybe I should have chosen a subject that sits a little more motionless but at least you can judge the shadows of the chair and the light reflection on the wall.
I am sure many of you have seen examples such as these before but I hope this helps someone.
If the flash has a diffuser why would you point it straight at the subject? I thought the "rule" was to have the flash at a 45* angle when using a diffuser, stoffen type, which I guess ur using?

02-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like these foam ideas, they'd probably hold up pretty nice compared to the cards I've always used.
02-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
[QUOTE=philbaum;485964]
The big problem i had today is that the local Walmart and Joann chains didn't have "fun foam" and didn't know what it was. I later found the term "craft foam" and hope to have more luck finding that tomorrow. /QUOTE]

You will find the foam sheets in the craft section at Walmart for about 50 cents each. They also have stiff plastic mesh sheets for less than a dollar.

I've made two of them, one regular size and one smaller size per this website DIY Reflector-Diffuser

Here are a couple of with and without photos to show how well it knocks down shadows.

Without

With

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 07-29-2017 at 12:57 PM.
02-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

I have another idea on how to modify these flash bouncers and will provide details if it works. Anyone know why a hot glue gun wouldn't work, seems like it would speed things up.

A great subject and the price is right.
It is my experience that most glues used in hot glue guns will dry and become brittle and not flex. Although I did not try spreading it thinly to glue these materials for the diffuser.
My experience with this construction of diffuser was that it did take several days drying for an all purpose glue such as Elmer's. Like a week. I set a few phone books to help smash the two materials together and let them set for many days. I did also end up hand stitching the outline and once up the middle to make sure the two pieces would stay together.

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
With

Tim
One of my flashes is a 25 year old Vivitar 2800 similar to yours above but no swivel.

03-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

This was great I built two one for my viv 285 and one for pentax 360. I used 3M super 77 spray glue and it worked great. I have another Ideal for an adder so I'm off to the store. I will post some pictures of mine soon.
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just made one of these in about 20min. Instructions were clear and easy. I think that if I try to make another one of these in the future I would take my time and use a glue gun to properly tack the mesh down and then slowly adhere the two sides to each other..
04-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #22

I used Elmer's spray tack and a couple of phone books (as a makeshift "press") to put mine together. Cost about $10 for the materials, half of that was the glue.

I'm considering a few other designs. But this does spread/difuse the light pretty well.

08-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #23

Very nice, it's one of the rare few DIY projects that look promising haha.
09-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

For me the results were not very impressive. That is I didn't notice the big difference. What should I look for and/or does somebody has better results / examples?
10-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I made a bounce and a snoot from rolls of drawer liner from Home Depot. One black foam-like with no adhesive (but it grips to the drawer interior) and one white roll that was thinner like a paper with adhesive on the back. Rolls were about $7 each. I merely cut two lengths of each, peeled off the backing of the white liner and stuck it on to the black liner and cut out the bounce shape using this template: http://www.ladig.org/events/2010-02/WackyHackBounceCard.pdf I also attached velcro to it.

I created straps with the black foam liner (also with velcro on them) to attach the bounce or snoot directly to the flash. Because the black liner is designed to grip without glue or adhesive, it adheres to the flash head with little chance of it coming off and no residue or stickiness left behind (I've used it on a Viviatar 285 HV and 360FGZ).

Hope this is useful.
02-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello All:

I have one I made out of card stock, but now I need to get the foam, this looks great and nicely durable!

For pinning the sides, to form the "scoop" what about self stick velcro, male & female? Also, to hold the parts in place during gluing, try the spring type cloths pins. I use them in my model RR projects and it works great!