Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
DIY: Making a Flash Bouncer
Posted By: tcdk, 09-13-2008, 07:03 AM

DIY Flash Bouncer gallery/description



Views: 22,694
09-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
That is very professional looking. It looks to be made out of foamie material? If so then you might like to make another one without the black layer. I find that reversing a like DIY bouncer on the flash and shooting the light into the white foamie material, works really well for close focus photos. The foamie glows and provides a very nice illumination.

Thank you
Russell
09-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
That is very professional looking. It looks to be made out of foamie material? If so then you might like to make another one without the black layer. I find that reversing a like DIY bouncer on the flash and shooting the light into the white foamie material, works really well for close focus photos. The foamie glows and provides a very nice illumination.
Thanks!

You mean totally cover the flash head and only using the light that shines through the foam? Kind of like a sto-fen bouncer?

I was actually thinking about making a smaller one, with just white. I guess if I added a small extra piece of velcro to the inside-top i could wrap it over the head like that...
09-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
Thanks!

You mean totally cover the flash head and only using the light that shines through the foam? Kind of like a sto-fen bouncer?
No, same design as you have minus the black layer. Just mount the bouncer on the front of the flash head with the cup pointing backwards and the flash head at 45 degrees.

Thank you
Russell

09-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
sabarrett's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
It looks to me like the flash output goes upwards out to the scoop, and not into the foamie material that is facing the viewer. I think that is just a loop that goes around the flash head.

Nice design! I was actually thinking of stealing my wifes Joanns coupons and getting some of that stuff to make some bouncers myself. I was going to put velcro onthe flash and the foamie for attachment. Is this too strong for the foamie? I may have to just use a rubber band if so.
09-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
No, same design as you have minus the black layer. Just mount the bouncer on the front of the flash head with the cup pointing backwards and the flash head at 45 degrees.
Ah. I get it. Thanks.
09-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
Nice design! I was actually thinking of stealing my wifes Joanns coupons and getting some of that stuff to make some bouncers myself. I was going to put velcro onthe flash and the foamie for attachment. Is this too strong for the foamie? I may have to just use a rubber band if so.
I think both solutions could work.

I didn't want to attach anything to my flash and I wanted it to be a single unit (and I think the rubber band would look cheap).

The velcro doesn't seem to have a problem staying on the foam. I think I may have to be a bit careful, but only time will tell how durable the velcro(glue)/foam combination really is...

The good thing about my design, is that the long slip of foam that goes around the flash can be stretched just a bit before the two velcro bits a "locked", making it hold the bouncer. I did try waving the flash around quite forcefully without it falling of.
09-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
The velcro doesn't seem to have a problem staying on the foam. I think I may have to be a bit careful, but only time will tell how durable the velcro(glue)/foam combination really is...
I haven't had any issue with the Velcro. Since I only used a single white layer I have to be careful of tearing the folds. With a single white layer white Velcro is probably the better material to use. I used what I had in the junk drawer, which was black.

QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
The good thing about my design, is that the long slip of foam that goes around the flash can be stretched just a bit before the two velcro bits a "locked", making it hold the bouncer. I did try waving the flash around quite forcefully without it falling off.
From my experience, it will stay in place without attaching Velcro to the flash head or using a rubberband. The band around the flash head also works well with multiple sized flash heads if you cut it for your largest head. Just add a little more Velcro for the smaller head to the band in the appropriate place.

Thank you
Russell

09-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,407
Nice work, looks very well assembled. Did you use Chuck Gardner's design as your start point?

DIY Reflector-Diffuser
09-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Nice work, looks very well assembled. Did you use Chuck Gardner's design as your start point?

DIY Reflector-Diffuser
Yes.

I actually wrote that in the text I linked to in the first article. Except I had put the pictures in a gallery that only I've access to.

Fixed and the new link is : DIY Flash Bouncer
09-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter
maxwell1295's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,704
Nice job! I have one of those and it works like a charm whether I use it for fill outdoors or as the main source of light indoors. A very efficient way to spread and soften your lighting.
09-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Nowhere Matt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,318
But is it art?

Just poking fun at someone.

Would you say that this creature is any more or less effective than a single piece of white polyethylene which is flaired out at the top and could also be held to the flash by velcro? And would your foamy flash bounce take up more or less space than something that has the rough dimensions of 4" by 5 1/2" and the thickness of a library card?

I suppose that your bouncer would not allow much light to be reflected to the parts of a room, when inside, such as ceiling or wall in the way a simple white plastic deflector some of us use would still direct it's light. So does this make a difference? Does one produce a softer, more attractive light compared with the other? Did you put velcro in places so that you can unfold it and it up or lay if flat in a bag or something?
I'm just extending the discussions; not picking it apart. It looks great and I am sure some of us are inspired to work with our own ideas as well.
09-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Did you put velcro in places so that you can unfold it and it up or lay if flat in a bag or something?
Lots of questions there - I can't answer them, I simply do not have the experience with using bouncers. I did a wedding last week-end, and I went away with the feeling that a good bounce would have give me a lot more usable night photos (the ceiling was about 4 meters up and and didn't bounce enough light). So I made this.

The top part is unfoldable and totally adjustable with the velcro....

But if some of the people where, who've been using this for a while, would share their experiences I would appreciate it...
09-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Nowhere Matt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,318
Ok I played around and constructed a flash bounce very similar to yours as well and I would like to post my very unscientific and perhaps practical results in your thread.
Using the 360 FGZ:

Undiffused, ceiling bounce with deflector (but admittedly the ceiling was only 5 feet over head)


Using diffuser of the flash pointed right at subject


Using the do it yourself diffuser


Maybe I should have chosen a subject that sits a little more motionless but at least you can judge the shadows of the chair and the light reflection on the wall.
I am sure many of you have seen examples such as these before but I hope this helps someone.
02-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
I'm going to "bounce" this one to the top again, what an excellent idea.

I have an assignment to take some shots of some art workers at a state park, but in turn of the century buildings. The problem is that low ceilings for bounce flashes are just not there.

So this sort of low bounce flash, perhaps using a remote flash and one on the camera would do the trick.

The big problem i had today is that the local Walmart and Joann chains didn't have "fun foam" and didn't know what it was. I later found the term "craft foam" and hope to have more luck finding that tomorrow. Searching on the internet, it turns that craft foam comes in a variety of thicknesses from 2mm to 8mm.

I have another idea on how to modify these flash bouncers and will provide details if it works. Anyone know why a hot glue gun wouldn't work, seems like it would speed things up.

A great subject and the price is right.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bouncer, diy, do it yourself, flash, yourself
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
diy: Ideals on making Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF SHQ into WR? sjwaldron Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 10-15-2010 07:15 PM
DIY: Flash grid skinja Do-It-Yourself 7 08-06-2009 08:16 PM
My DIY flash Bouncer tcdk Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 19 02-16-2009 03:49 PM
New Flash Bouncer? HermanLee Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 06-03-2008 12:30 AM
Making some use of onboard flash pentagor Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 02-27-2008 01:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top