Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

DIY: Make a Cable Release for your K10D
Posted By: pop4, 12-29-2007, 04:39 PM

A cable shutter release is one of those camera accessories that for me, isn't entirely necessary, but is something that may prove useful to have, e.g. for if I ever get around to taking photos of the stars. I wasn't going to fork out the money to buy one, especially since it was is something that I don't absolutely need, and being a photographic accessory, they don't exactly come cheap (but then again, what photographic accessory does?)

So, I thought about building one myself, and looked to see if there were any instructions. It turns out that a cable shutter release mechanism is actually very simple, and it wouldn't be overly difficult to build one. In fact, if you have even the slightest bit of soldering skill/electronic skill, you should have absolutely no problems with building one. And it comes cheap too. The parts, from a local electronics store, came to a total of just A$6.35, (~US$5.50).

So how do you build one?
Firstly, to read up on how a cable shutter release works: click here
And then try here and here for the instructions.

And then using the information from the sites listed above, I created this:

This is my circuit diagram. Operation is very simple. Press the blue button for AF. Press the red button for the shutter. And for bulb mode, flick the switch to open the shutter, and when I'm done with the exposure, flick it back.

These are the parts

This is the completed cable release.
Views: 31,603
06-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
This is my first post on the pentaxforum. I have been reading alot on the forum and found out it was time to join

I saw this DIY Cable Release, and decided i wanted to try make one for my k20d.

her it is

i used a sidewinder joystick handle with it's two buttons and put a 2.5mm minijack in the bottom of it. I can make difrent lenghth cables to attach. focus on the indexfinger and shutter on the thumb. No bulb, but fits nicly in the hand.

what do you guys think?

06-27-2008, 02:58 AM   #17

Another way

Another way to do some time lapse photography is to download remote assistant from the pentax website. You can then take full control of your K10 via its usb cable connection.

I have had a play with the invalometer functions and you can capture some great timelapse shots.
06-27-2008, 03:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phaser Quote
Hello

i used a sidewinder joystick handle with it's two buttons and put a 2.5mm minijack in the bottom of it. I can make difrent lenghth cables to attach. focus on the indexfinger and shutter on the thumb. No bulb, but fits nicly in the hand.

what do you guys think?
I somehow missed this when you posted it - I think it's really great!
06-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phaser Quote
Hello
This is my first post on the pentaxforum. I have been reading alot on the forum and found out it was time to join

I saw this DIY Cable Release, and decided i wanted to try make one for my k20d.

her it is

what do you guys think?
NICE! I love it!

Might be able to mod it to add bulb?

06-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I just gathered together all the bits to make mine and discovered a small problem...........

the socket on my K10 is smaller than the 2.5mm jack that everyone else uses
is this a UK thing?

Any idea what size I might need?
07-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hey I also missed that joystick release! Great job!

Lloydy ... Are you sure you don't have a 3.5mm jack? If it fits in a walkman or MP3 player, then it's a 3.5mm jack.

The camera uses a 2.5mm jack which is a bit smaller (it's commonly used on cordless phone headsets).

Pat
07-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yup, just checked and got the right plug from an electronics store.

All my audio stuff must be using the 3.5mm plugs, I just thought there was one size.
07-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I made a shutter release based on these instructions, it worked great! thanks!

07-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Once I'd got the right size plug, mine works just fine as well.
02-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

A few months ago I brought a Tair 3 photosniper outfit. In the original system the trigger on the stock operates the pre set aperture on the lens and fires the shutter on the specially made Zenit camera (for detail of the photosniper see this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56246-any-expe...m-f-4-5-a.html). This is a very effective system as it allows the lens to be supported and pointed accurately, hand held using the well developed and ergonimic stock as used on rifles. I modified the triger with some switches so that it could fire the stutter on my DSLR just as it used to on the Zenit. Here ares some details of the conversion.
Below is a photo of the modified trigger with switches attached:

The swithces I used were scavenged from old equipment but suitable alternatives are readily available from most electronics suppliers.
I used a microswitch for the AF switch. This is mounted at the front of the trigger mechanism so that the button is depressed when the trigger in in its normal position. I used the push to break contacts so that when the trigger is squeezed gently the microswitch closes the AF circuit and the metering and AF confirm become active. A suitable microswitch would be something like the one available here:Rapid Electronics - Electronic Components The microswitch was mounted on a simple aluminium bracket as shown in the photo bellow.

I used a tactile switch for the shutter release. This is mounted at the back end of trigger mechanism on another aluminium bracket and is actuated by the lever which originally released the shutter on the zenit. A suitable tactile switch would be something like the one available here:Rapid Electronics - Electronic Components The photo bellow shows the mounting of the tactile switch.

In use the first gentle squeez of the trigger activates the metering and the AF confirm. A further squeez releases the lens pre set shutter. The final squeez releases the shutter.
The modification only required two holes to be drilled in the photosniper stock. One of these is completely hidden and the other is not very obvious. It would be possible and indeed quite simple to put everything back as it was originally should I want to.

Last edited by MattGunn; 03-05-2010 at 12:30 PM.
03-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #26
Inactive Account

my cable release

10x for the electronics, works fine.

Sculpted mine from a found piece of hard wood. I already had the cable with the jack so i bought the 3 buttons. I will varnish it with shellac.

Red button on top is the release, red AF in middle and black for bulb, respectively.

It took some time, but it's nice to work outside when you don't have anything else to do. I know you can find cheaper versions on the market, but it's nice to accomplish something, to create your own.

thanks again !
Attached Images

Last edited by cmp306; 03-21-2010 at 02:40 AM.
03-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by cmp306 Quote
10x for the electronics, works fine.

Sculpted mine from a found piece of hard wood. I already had the cable with the jack so i bought the 3 buttons. I will varnish it with shellac.

Red button on top is the release, red AF in middle and black for bulb, respectively.

It took some time, but it's nice to work outside when you don't have anything else to do. I know you can find cheaper versions on the market, but it's nice to accomplish something, to create your own.

thanks again !
That looks amazing, I might try something like that. But, does anyone know if it's the same 2.5mm plug for the K7? I won't have the camera for another 3 weeks but was just wondering in advance.

Thanks, roliver.
03-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roliver Quote
That looks amazing, I might try something like that. But, does anyone know if it's the same 2.5mm plug for the K7? I won't have the camera for another 3 weeks but was just wondering in advance.

Thanks, roliver.
Yes, the K-7 uses a 2.5mm socket for the cable release.
03-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Yes, the K-7 uses a 2.5mm socket for the cable release.
Oh, ok, thanks very much!
05-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i'm planning to make something like this for my k110d, but with an additional safety feature. i'll be using a 3.5mm plug rather than 2.5mm, then adding one of these.

9995 New 2.5mm to 3.5mm Earphone Audio Adapter Cable on eBay.ca (item 270573888421 end time 06-May-10 22:39:22 EDT)

when i inevitably trip over the cord, the 3.5mm plug will get harmlessly pulled straight out of the adapter rather than my camera crashing to the ground or the 2.5mm plug breaking off in it. only cost me 6 cents, shipping included. way cheaper than a new camera.