Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I've been reading mixed reviews on this camera as well. I'd like to get one, but feel the same way as you do.

----
Also, I priced around. Adorama has it the cheapest from what I have found.

walmat.com = 279.00 + free shipping
target.com = 329.00 + free shipping
bestbuy = 329.00 + free shipping
bhphoto = 273.00 + free shipping
adorama = 271.95 + free shipping
If you guys don't really need the LED ring light then this is the same as the W80 and I bet the W80 would be cheaper!

08-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #17
Forum Member

What color W90 did you get? I just picked up the "Pistachio Green". A very usable point and shoot camera. I'm going to take it with me when I climb Mount Fuji.

May God Bless!

Ed
08-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One Black, and one Pistachio Green.
08-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #19
Forum Member

I was reading on DP review (Pentax Forum) this one guy was saying the Optio W90 was the worst camera he had ever bought. I can't say I agree with that, but I have had pretty good results with it so far. May God Bless.

Ed

08-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #20
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far so good with mine. It went scuba diving with two teenage boys and survived, didn't leak, and still takes pictures and stuff.
08-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well as some people know I really struggled over my purchase of a W90. I wanted a Lumix DMC-TS2, but in Japan you could only get it in Japanese language. So I went for the W90. Took it to the water park in Japan, and out on a rainy day to a temple and shopping center. Since I've been back it's very easy to keep it in my bag, which means I can take some more random pictures easier. I went out to a park here and took some photos in the sunshine as well as took a night video of some lightning and rain.

So far I'm slowly growing to like it. I've taken a few decent photos. The videos aren't great, but I'm working on those. I think I need to learn this camera a little before I can really call it. It's actually been a long time since I've used just a P&S camera. Probably like 6 or 7 years. I've had a DSLR for a year now, and before that I had a hybrid for 4-5 years and then a P&S just for like 1-1.5 years. Before that it was my K1000 which lasted me a long time.

Some pictures have been turning out not bad.

One thing I've noticed is that the auto-white balance doesn't really balance properly. I found that by setting EV to -0.7 basically permanently it prevents the blown out look, and for some situations I really have to manually tweak the AWB to get it to give better color representation.

I've also found the digital microscope function less useful than I expected. It can focus pretty darn close without switching that on and doesn't require you drop down to 2.1megapixels.