Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What can you tell me about the film Pentax Zoom 90 WR?

Hi,

Sometimes, I find myself wishing my cameras were weather sealed, especially when out with the boy scouts. I just scored a Pentax Zoom 90 WR film camera on eBay and it is on its way. What can you tell me about it? What batteries do I need? How long do the batteries last? How weather sealed is weather sealed?

Thanks,

06-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That is my first pentax camera That must be 17 years ago.

What brought me to get that camera in the first place is the weather sealing (which i think is unique among cameras during that time) and the remote control, which is so small and can be slotted into the camera for easy transport. It came with a 90mm zoom which is great at that time...but alas, the wide end is not really wide enuf for me...but i still bought it.

Used during my uni years, brought it to the mountains, to camping trips, and to the snow....even take photos in the rain....but due to my carelessness during one of the snowy trip, the lens fogged (though the image quality is not really affected much) and after learning it takes a fortune to repair it, i gave up and bought a canon pns.

It is a good film camera....brings back happy memories for me.

Congrats on this catch
06-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My sister used one for many years and got good results.
It survived several dunkings while canoeing and kayaking.
Something to watch out for is a loose shutter release cover.

Here's a link to the instructions: Pentax Zoom 90WR manual

Chris
06-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Chris,
Thanks for the link to the manual. I downloaded it and it is very useful. Many features in this camera!
I just posted a mini-review / first impression in this section with some sample pics.

Thanks!

11-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

Pentax 90WR camera

I acquired a Pentax 90 WR camera years ago at some thrift store,and I'm looking for a battery box for it.I've got a Pentax K1000 that was given to me about a month ago plus another Pentax I also picked up.I have a few different other 35mm cameras which include an old Argus Model A circa 1936-39 plus an Agfa Agfamatic II and two 35mm Fujica and Zenit Model E camera bodies.I got the latter two at a Goodwill store here in North Bend,Oregon.I gave $3.00 for the Fujica and $7.95 for the Zenit.I was surprised to find the Zenit as it being made in the Soviet Union,I figured anything from there would be outlawed here on account of the Cold War.I need lenses for both.I have a lens made by Petri,but it won't fit the Fujica.The Zenit has the screw type lens.I had several more 35mm cameras,but they somehow disappeared in the process of moving.They included an Argus C3 Matchmatic,another Model A plus a chrome bodied 35mm camera of unknown manufacture.I'm getting back into how to use a 35mm camera.I haven't been into it in about 15 years.
11-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What can I tell you.... it is built like a brick, very rugged, feels heavy and you will feel comfortable with it. Optics are very good. Takes two 123A batteries that last for about 30-40 rolls of film (depending on flash usage). It has built in data back (date imprinter) and is one of the few (if not the only) Pentax camera that comes with its own IR remote fitted into a side slot.

It is weatherproof, NOT WATERPROOF. After all this years I wouldn't trust the weatherproofing that much. It can take a sprinkle or even some heavy rain (but not operating!) neither will take a full dunk in the water, but at least is capable of handling environments that would otherwise damage your regular p&s or DSLR, like leaving it on the sand or else.

I recommend checking all exterior buttons (on/off, zoom, date imprinter, etc) because when new, they are all rubber and very well seated (weatherproofing), but after some years, they may show cracks that can let moisture get in.
02-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

Hello!

Does anyone have problems with the remote controller? If I remove it, the remote mode is not activated automatically, but it should be, right?
My camera is new, so I'm not really familiar with it yet. (By new, I meant new for me )