Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #61
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummmm, the camera has to be able to fit in a standard shirt pocket?

08-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Ummmm, the camera has to be able to fit in a standard shirt pocket?
So, pretty much just digital compact cameras and pocket instamatics? None of my 35mm "point and shoot" cameras are that small, except maybe a couple of the vivitar plasti-cams. I'm sure nobody has a rangefinder that size. No folders, no polaroids, no box cameras.

The Auto 110 would still qualify though.
08-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #63
G.T
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My first camera was that small.
Eerrr and the Kodak with "type 126" reel would approax this, not to mention the Minox
08-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #64
Pentaxian

The 8mm and 16mm cameras would, for sure. Maybe we need a "Tiny Camera Photography Contest"

08-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
... What we have in place right now is something of a mish-mash, and I mostly agree with the rules, except for the complete ban on medium format.

Defining what is and what is not a point and shoot is like being a dog with a shock collar in a yard with an invisible fence. You can't see the line, but you know when you've crossed it.
Well, I guess we are close to an understanding, then .
Let's agree to disagree on the Medium format.
Though I know there have been arguments about the use of medium format. A lot of people found that was over the top. I tend to agree...

I think you made valid arguments as well and indeed there is no clear cut definition of a Point and Shoot. So, choices have to be made.
I like your image of the dog and the shock collar. The problem is that everybody wanders around in a different yard.
Then people can say: hey! I felt no shock. While others would reply: I'm shocked.
So, we make a set of rules...

Also note, I did put this list of allowed formats after 'have fun'.
08-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Well, I guess we are close to an understanding, then .
Let's agree to disagree on the Medium format.
Though I know there have been arguments about the use of medium format. A lot of people found that was over the top. I tend to agree...

I think you made valid arguments as well and indeed there is no clear cut definition of a Point and Shoot. So, choices have to be made.
I like your image of the dog and the shock collar. The problem is that everybody wanders around in a different yard.
Then people can say: hey! I felt no shock. While others would reply: I'm shocked.
So, we make a set of rules...
Agreeing to disagree is about all we can do...maybe at a future date we can allow MF from Box Cameras and Folders only...maybe if I end up winning one of these I can bend the format of the rules a tiny bit. At any rate, I do enjoy the contests and the people who participate in them are some of the coolest.

I guess my crankiness over medium format stems from my having a Kodak Medalist, an Autographic Brownie No. 2. and a duaflex I can't use for this, even though they're point and shoots, and I would consider many cameras that are eligible for the contest to be far easier to get good results from. I mean, the only reason these cameras took rollfilm in the first place was that their lenses weren't sharp enough to make good images on 35mm.

QuoteQuote:
Also note, I did put this list of allowed formats after 'have fun'.
Noted. It's not my fault that I find talking about this to be fun I'm not trying to be excessively argumentative, nor am I even really complaining. Just curious about the rules and how they came to be, more than anything else.
08-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
...Noted. It's not my fault that I find talking about this to be fun I'm not trying to be excessively argumentative, nor am I even really complaining. Just curious about the rules and how they came to be, more than anything else.
That was understood .
08-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Finepix S5100

Last edited by woof; 08-28-2010 at 06:05 AM.
08-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Final call

Thanks for joining in, woof.

This contest is closing today.
So, anybody who want's to enter better hurry!
08-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Saw everyones excellent images this a.m and went out tonite to get a few for the contest. Heres some last minute entries taken with Fuji Finepix F10.

Last edited by ivoire; 02-02-2011 at 08:54 AM.
08-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #71
Site Supporter

Just a couple of last minute entries taken with my Old Camedia C-770.

Last edited by chemtech; 08-29-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Need to click on album to view.
08-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Closed

Thanks for joining us, ivoire & chemtech.
Very last minute indeed

This contest is now closed.
I'll come back with the results after careful consideration.
Won't be easy!
08-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Just my quick and dirty take on the term "point and shoot": I think of the old C126 and 110 cameras, the Canon Sureshots, etc. The kind of camera the grandparents would buy the kids or use themselves... "oh honey, smile for grandma." I use grandma here since my grandfather had a nice SLR and lenses and was very much a photographer. Call it "the average Joe camera." Obviously, each person has their own idea about what constitutes average. I could probably make the case that someone with the money to spend, who just wants to look like a photographer and buys an SLR (D or otherwsie), but then sticks it on full auto and has to get someone to help him find the shutter release, is using a "Point and Shoot" camera because that's all they're doing.

I'd personally say that the technology involved isn't necessarily the determining factor. Some of the types of cameras mentioned recently, though older and with fewer controls, were definitely not for the average Joe to use, though I'd say that a Brownie was as it was mass produced. Likewise, I'd say that the newer sub_DSLR super zooms, like the Fuji HS10 would certainly be pushing past the intenet of a PnS contest.

Like Bart mentioned, the goal is to have fun, and I'll add that I think this is about showing what we can do with an "average" camera and a lot of creative thinking to get extraordinary photos. I thought I'd add two photos here taken about 10 minutes apart. Not that I think either of these is extraordinary in any way, but to show my thinking behind the intent of the contest. Both taken with a Fuji Finepix F700, just resized with a touch of sharpening added afterwards.

I wasn't happy with the lack of detail in the clouds in the first photo compared to what I was seeing through my amber-tinted sunglasses. So, I put one of the sunglass lenses right up in front of the camera lens with the following result:

Anywho, that's my take on the PnS contest and rules.
08-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Just my quick and dirty take on the term "point and shoot": I think of the old C126 and 110 cameras, the Canon Sureshots, etc. The kind of camera the grandparents would buy the kids or use themselves... "oh honey, smile for grandma." I use grandma here since my grandfather had a nice SLR and lenses and was very much a photographer. Call it "the average Joe camera." Obviously, each person has their own idea about what constitutes average. I could probably make the case that someone with the money to spend, who just wants to look like a photographer and buys an SLR (D or otherwsie), but then sticks it on full auto and has to get someone to help him find the shutter release, is using a "Point and Shoot" camera because that's all they're doing.

I'd personally say that the technology involved isn't necessarily the determining factor. Some of the types of cameras mentioned recently, though older and with fewer controls, were definitely not for the average Joe to use, though I'd say that a Brownie was as it was mass produced. Likewise, I'd say that the newer sub_DSLR super zooms, like the Fuji HS10 would certainly be pushing past the intenet of a PnS contest.

Like Bart mentioned, the goal is to have fun, and I'll add that I think this is about showing what we can do with an "average" camera and a lot of creative thinking to get extraordinary photos. I thought I'd add two photos here taken about 10 minutes apart. Not that I think either of these is extraordinary in any way, but to show my thinking behind the intent of the contest. Both taken with a Fuji Finepix F700, just resized with a touch of sharpening added afterwards.

I wasn't happy with the lack of detail in the clouds in the first photo compared to what I was seeing through my amber-tinted sunglasses. So, I put one of the sunglass lenses right up in front of the camera lens with the following result:

Anywho, that's my take on the PnS contest and rules.
Very creative second shot! I agree with you about the intent of "Point and shoot" in terms of these contests. That's kind of where I was going with the "lack of manual controls" portion of it. The intent here I think is to use cameras that were the kind of cameras an average person on the street would buy for use with their family. A couple of my medium format cameras (My brownie hawkeye and my duaflex) would definitely be in this category. A TLR and a MF Rangefinder would not.

By the same token, a Pentax IQZoom or Canon SureShot would be perfect examples of point and shoots.

A Canon A530IS would be a point and shoot. A PowerShot G11 arguably not.

Could a camera that was made at a time when only pros even owned cameras ever be considered a point and shoot?

There's enough gray area here to cover a battleship and then some.
08-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Results

Well, I think this was quite a successful contest ;

I must say I really enjoyed all of the entries. For what it's worth, I would be happy and proud to have made them myself.
My sincerest congratulations to all of the participants!

This is a contest however and tough choices have to be made.
There were many entries, so I allowed myself to choose some extra .

Since there was no theme except for B&W, there were many different kind of photos. This made it extra difficult to compare. So, I simply let the photos speak for themselves. This makes for a very subjective selection. Bear that in mind.

Special mention for sheer cuteness goes to:

woof

Name:  p168909948-4.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  103.7 KB

Need I say more...

A joined third place:

G.T

View Picture EXIF
Name:  pentaxforums-ps33-3.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  161.3 KB

The single bird against the threatening sky makes for an excellent B&W. This image evokes a feeling of solitude that I quite like.

JoeGray

Name:  4586321768_a4abbac732_z.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  120.1 KB

What works for me here, is the contrast between the dark deep shadows and the bright (harsh) light on the rest of the scene. I think this kind of scene is made for B&W.

Second place goes to:

unixrevolution

View Picture EXIF
Name:  4845247875_9971f153f4_o.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  137.9 KB

This one, I choose for the overall atmosphere of the picture. I just would like to be there. The scene seems to belong in another age. Love the tones.

And finally, the winner of this contest:

ivoire

View Picture EXIF
Name:  pet shopping w.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  358.2 KB

Well, this really makes an impact: the girl sitting all alone on the bench with the empty bench next to it. There is a feeling of sadness about here. Certainly enhanced by fact that this is a B&W shot.

There you have it. Well, ivoire, it's up to you now to set up an judge Point & Shoot Contest #34. Good luck!

Again, my congratulations to all the participants and special congratulations to the winners of course!
I hope you all enjoyed yourself.