Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bart: You nailed the image. I was out walking and saw this lovely young woman sitting alone with people routinely streaming by. she made a few calls and after 15 minutes, no one had shown up. i shot a couple of quick pics and continued walking. went and got coffee and sat for 20 minutes and shot the coffee college. went walking for another 15 minutes when i circled back and she was still there alone. I too thought it rather sad, but i also thought 'Oh to be 40 years younger". I'm surprised and pleased to have won with so many excellent images. Now i have to dream up the next contest. mike

08-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #77
G.T
Veteran Member

Hi !

I'm proud to end into the final trio. However, I tend to think it wasn't the best shot I submitted. It doesn't really matter. I had fun, and that's what I was looking for.

I also continue to think that the "graduated pic" was better in colour :

Last edited by G.T; 08-31-2010 at 01:12 PM.
08-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
Hi !

I'm proud to end into the final trio. However, I tend to think it wasn't the best shot I submitted. It doesn't really matter. I had fun, and that's what I was looking for.

I also continue to think that the "graduated pic" was better in colour :
I like this much better in color also. When i saw everyones pics, i decided to go out at the last minute with the f10 and try it in the bnw setting. It seems to do a better job than shooting color and then rendering in CS5 as bnw. since i rarely shoot bnw this was a fun evening.
08-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

Finepix S5100
woof, i thought this was going to be the winner. i really like the composition, textures and the cute factor

08-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #80
G.T
Veteran Member

You did a good job. No matter you decided to go for a walk at the very last minute. That's the game

What you state, is something I would have liked to discuss if I wasn't afraid of being boring.
"Of course" I shot into colours, and turned the pics into B&W using Photoshop (even if I could have used the in-camera B&W filter), but the shots made with real B&W films seem to me as having far better tone & rendition, I just wonder wether it's due to digital or our own limits if our "fully digital" pictures don't render that fine.
08-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
You did a good job. No matter you decided to go for a walk at the very last minute. That's the game

What you state, is something I would have liked to discuss if I wasn't afraid of being boring.
"Of course" I shot into colours, and turned the pics into B&W using Photoshop (even if I could have used the in-camera B&W filter), but the shots made with real B&W films seem to me as having far better tone & rendition, I just wonder wether it's due to digital or our own limits if our "fully digital" pictures don't render that fine.
I think we'd need to have the bnw film guys chime in on that issue. even tho i get paid photo work i still consider myself a novice/amateur. i know very little technical info on cameras and digital provides the opportunity to experiment at very little cost. my hat is off to those that worked thru the film era. i didn't get started in photography until 3-4 yrs ago and its always been digital. fuji had a history of trying to imitate their film quality in digital imaging. it was one of the reasons i picked up the f10. even tho its age is showing, the images have always been very good from it. i shot the coffee shop pic at 1600iso f2.8 according to the metadata
08-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not to late to enter, is it? It's still Aug 31st here.

Taken with Kodak Easyshare MP1033 on a bridge in Chicago.
Resized down to 800x600.

And my second entry, taken with a Polaroid i1437.
I don't have the camera/memory card anymore, so I had to steal this from my deviantart, I'm not sure if the exif data comes up...

This is my first contest, I'm not sure if I did everything right, but if you need any reference or anything, here's my dA ---> http://el-divertido-pato.deviantart.com/
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
I1437  Photo 

Last edited by Julie; 08-31-2010 at 08:50 PM.
08-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
It's not to late to enter, is it? It's still Aug 31st here.
Sorry, Julie. The contest ran till August the 29th.
But it's a fine entry anyway. Be on the look-out for the next contest.
You can join in again.

08-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Converting

On the topic of creating B&W pictures, I shoot color as well - digital only (have to cut on the expenses ).

Most of my conversions, I do in LR. Not using the presets but tweaking the basic settings first. I am rather pleased with the results.

Another program I use is DxO FilmPack that comes preloaded with emulations of all sorts of film, including B&W films. Not bad. You can download a trial version.

If you like, you can find a gallery with my experiments here.
09-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Congrats to all of the winners!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Special mention for sheer cuteness goes to: woof
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
woof, i thought this was going to be the winner. i really like the composition, textures and the cute factor
Congrats again! Nice work. I appreciate your kind words... thank you!

woof!
09-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #86
Pentaxian

This was one of the best I've participated in, without a single bad entry in the lot. Congrats to all who participated, and I must say I'm very proud to have been singled out for a second place from amongst this list of entries.
09-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #87
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners. This was a great contest. Bart really had to work hard to judge all the quality entries. Job well done. The B&W theme really attracted entries.

Bart also worked over time researching/explaining/defending the contest origin and rules. Sorry I wasn't around sooner to help. Thank you Bart for all the extra work.

In the early days of PentaxForums, Adam was considering closing the P&S section. There were very few posters and even fewer pentax cameras. Decided to throw out the idea of a P&S contest to others (after getting the okay from Adam).The idea was to increase traffic in the P&S forum. Which is why it isn't held where all the other contests and games are.

Also wanted to make the contest as different from the main photo contest as possible. This meant one judge ( winner of previous contest), instead of everyone voting. Selected this style because I have very limited computer skills with no idea how to set up a contest where everyone could vote. Didn't want to bother Adam - he was busy starting/running the whole site, and might have changed his mind about our little contest.

The rules aren't set in stone. If enough people want medium format thats cool. The original rules didn't outlaw MF. Many feel MF is wrong for P&S contest. Understand the concern. It doesn't bother me either way. Guess the only camera rules that are vital to me is allowing 35mm rangefiders (even Leicas), the 110 Pentax ( one of the greatest P&S of all time), and allowing all brands of cameras.

If some want to bend the rules once in a while to allow MF folders - fine with me. Used to shoot a Fuji 645. Would still have it today, but after sending it in twice to get it realigned I gave up on it. Loved it when it was working.

Ready for the next contest!
thanks
barondla
09-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #88
Veteran Member

unixrevolution said;
"I guess my crankiness over medium format stems from my having a Kodak Medalist, an Autographic Brownie No. 2. and a duaflex I can't use for this, even though they're point and shoots,"

The Kodak Medalist can hardly be considered a point and shoot. ..... Can it?
One must determine exposure with a light meter, advance film, set shutter speed, set aperture, focus and, at last, shoot. If one can find film for it after deciding whether to use roll film or cut film.
Then comes developing and printing.
It weighs 3 pounds 2 ounces.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 09-04-2010 at 09:33 PM.
09-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
unixrevolution said;
"I guess my crankiness over medium format stems from my having a Kodak Medalist, an Autographic Brownie No. 2. and a duaflex I can't use for this, even though they're point and shoots,"

The Kodak Medalist can hardly be considered a point and shoot. ..... Can it?
One must determine exposure with a light meter, advance film, set shutter speed, set aperture, focus and, at last, shoot. If one can find film for it after deciding whether to use roll film or cut film.
Then comes developing and printing.
It weighs 3 pounds 2 ounces.

Mickey
The only reason the medalist isn't considered a point and shoot by the rules of this contest is because it's Medium Format. My Argus C2, which is just as complicated a rangefinder as the Medalist is to operate (Meter, focus, compose, cock, shoot, wind), gets a pass cause it shoots 35mm.

It's a moot point till the Medalist comes back from Bald Mountain Photography anyway.....but my issue is that the ban on medium format does cut out legitimate point-and-shoot cameras: instant cameras, box cameras, and simple folding cameras (Like Polaroid 600s, Kodak Brownies, and Agfa Isolettes, respectively) are all ineligible because of it, and many other cameras that are much less "point and shooty" (Leica M9/M8/MP, Olympus EP-1, Canon PowerShot G11) get in with these rules just fine. I was curious about the rules setup because it doesn't seem to standardize on the amount of manual control or complication that eligible cameras have.
09-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Point and Shoot

unixrevolution,

I thought Point & Shoot meant no fiddling with controls of any kind as with box cameras or today's fully automated devices.

I guess Webster and Oxford will have to redefine their definitions as is necessary with so many of yesterday's words used today.

Like, like, absolutely, cool like.

Mickey