Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tested the W90 in a bowl of water

I decided to give it a little test in a bowl of water before doing anything serious with it. Afterwards, I dried it with a towel and opened up the comparments. No water got passed the seals. Now, to find the time to really put it up to the task. Will update soon...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV-WUAZwGwc[/YT]

I changed the audio because there was nothing to hear except the sound of traffic going by, a dog barking, what I think was an airplane or a motorcycle, and somebody mowing their grass way off in the distance.

07-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see it's living up to the waterproof standard!

Next, I would...go hiking and play catch with it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know, silly test.

I read a few reviews on here, amazon, and other sites about people who had their W90 leak or malfunction the first time it went under water, so I wanted to give this one a quick test before I go out somewhere with it. To me, the battery door didn't seem like a tight enough fit upon first inspection, but I guess it is. I just figured that it would be a dissapointment to take it somewhere and have it fail when you need it.

Now, to give it a 4ft drop into a mud puddle..
07-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

I just ordered one for my teenagers to take on a trip to the BSA's Seabase thing in the Keys. They're doing the scuba thing but I thought they might have opportunities to snorkle or something in the shallower water and a camera would be fun. I just need to make sure they know how deep 20 feet is. And isn't.

07-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #5
Forum Member

Please take a lot of pictures with the camera, and post them.
I'm considering buying this camera but the reviews and user comments differ a lot and i'm not shure if I should buy this camera or another sealed camera.

So i would be nice to see some different pictures and your personal experience
please drop me a note regarding your findings
07-11-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I can testify that the w80 is fully weatherproof. The same should apply to the w90
08-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #7

Hi all! I purchased a W90 last month and must say I'm pretty satisfied with it (overall considering toughness and not DSLR image quality, but, hei! it's a P&S!)

I can state that W90 is fully waterproof, since I personally used it while jumping into water from 8 mt height on canyoning trip. I suppose that, given the neoprene suit makes you floating on water, after the jump i gone no more than 2 mt deep, but considering also the water pressure caused by fast entering into water surface, it can be considered as a static 3-4 mt.

I must say too that i didn't stay into water for long time (max 30 secs) so don't know if the cam can really resist 30 mins under water. Anyway for a 4-5 hrs trip jumping, and swimming the cam is good (and the battery lasts for almost 5-6 Gb AVCHD clips).

Greetings! Umberto

08-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Playing with the w80 in a pool, in lakes, in rivers and under snow for significant periods of time, I consider this a non-question. It's compliant with its specs (as it should be) period.
08-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax seems to know what they are doing with their waterproof cams...

Had a W60 since it came out and I can attest that it's really waterproof...

I've had it out in the rain, in several pools, a few hot tubs, hanging in the lake at the end of my fishing rod, swam in many lakes with it, threw it around on the beach and went snorkeling for hours in the Caribbean and it's still working as well as the day I bought it.

Pat
08-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
hanging in the lake at the end of my fishing rod
Were you looking for fish? I had the same idea.
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

I just put mine through the bowl of water test. No leaking was apparent. Next test is that it's going to SeaBase in Florida with a gang of teenage boyscouts. If it still works on it's return I'll be convinced of it's ruggedness.

Last edited by mel; 08-09-2010 at 03:36 PM.
08-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You have such dainty hands. They look so soft.
08-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #13

How deep can you submerge a W90?
08-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #14
Forum Member

Mine leaked at the beach.

. I had mine for little over a month and then it failed me. Leaked & completely shut the camera down.
The good thing is Pentax will take care of it. (takes about 4-5weeks)

I still enjoy the camera though its a fun little guy that is rugged enough for my family. And it sure beats lugging the K20d around.

BL
10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Does the W90 has sensor based shake reduction or shake reduction by increasing the ISO? I read some reviews and i still cant figure this out.