Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

W90 focus mode problem

I have a rather strange problem with the focus mode setting on my w90. the camera behaved perfect up to today. Setting the focus mode to AF or any other mode and back to AF for general use just worked fine. Then I tried to take a few photos on MF today and switched back to AF afterwards, but form then on the camera decided that despite the setting being AF it wanted to use PF which I never selected and in fact the box marks AF when checking the mode. The macro modes as well as PF, Infinity and MF still work when selected but I can't get rid of the PF when choosing AF from the list except when the camera goes into auto macro. As soon as I press the shutter half for the autofocus the PF-mode is back. The AF-Tracking also seems to be affected. I can focus on an object in Macro alright, but the Af won't track the object when set to tracking the focussing area.

It seems that the shutter button is much more sensitive as well. There doesn't seem to be a 'half' and 'full' press any more but just straight through to full. For some reason the autofocus still works on macro but not on AF setting.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem? I have tried to reset the camera from the menu as well as a firmware update to 1.01 and there were no changes. For how long do I have to remove the battery to reset to default? Is there any other fix?
Thanks for any good idea except for buying a different camera or reading the manual.

Last edited by AdM Michael; 07-17-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: more problems
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

Original Poster
Problem solved. Pentax repaired the W90 free of charge. They say that they've cleaned the mechanics, although I can't workout how dirt could have got in there unless it was already inside the camera when I bought it.