Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want a Pentax (like Nikon) P5100

All I want is a nice high-end P&S that is like the P5100, Compact, decent zoom, and has a hot shoe. It seams like everyone but Pentax has them. The new FTZ200?? Flash would go great with it too.

Is that too much to ask? Pentax has been lacking in this arena ever since the discontinued E100.

IMO They need something like this to fully compleate their line up of P&S. Just having 4 would be fine, The WP (I have and love) A super cheep camera (they have) a mid-range stylish etc (they have) and now the high-end

The last closest thing was the Optio 750 and now they just want ultra stylish minies that can't really compeat because the market is flooded. The only thing they have in the P&S line that really makes a mark is the WP series. They need to keep that up and develop another higher-end P&S

Us DSLR shooters want something with more controle and small size for the little outings that we dont want to lug a DSLR for. My WP30 does great, but only so much.
Whats your take?

08-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The market is too niche for pentax to compete in imo. Having a hot shoe is nice, but to me, kind of loses the point of having a pocketable P&S if I have to lug around a flash anyways.

Having the FTZ200 flash wouldn't be very useful either as it doesn't bounce or swivel iirc. I'm willing to make a sacrifice and increase my ISO for better flash performance when needed, especially on those fuji HR sensor that can take 400iso without a sweat (unlike most of their competition). ISO higher than that is still acceptable if when one's desperate.
08-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

haha a Pentax dslr costs just a tad more than a Nikon P5100 haha.
09-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #4

As much as I would probably never buy a Canon DSLR, their P&S cameras are some of my favourites with very good IQ (at least the models I had a few years ago).

If I felt like wasting money on a new P&S (mine is a Canon digital elph from 2002), the G9 looks really sweet.

09-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
As much as I would probably never buy a Canon DSLR, their P&S cameras are some of my favourites with very good IQ (at least the models I had a few years ago).

If I felt like wasting money on a new P&S (mine is a Canon digital elph from 2002), the G9 looks really sweet.
I do feel the same way... at least about their G line of P&S they have always been great. I have thought about getting one... but I dont want to buy a Cannon Flash
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The G line has plummeted since the G7. The design was kool but the lens was less useful and its target market partially overlapped with the A700 series.

Its too bad pentax never really made a 'prosumer' kinda camera. The 750 was close but lacked hotshoe. The rest of their digicams are too thin and all use the same 2-3 lens designs haha. Casio uses those 2-3 designs as well and they've pretty much specialized the thin digital camera market. Pentax should try to build something in a different niche and something more high calibre.

That new Optio A40 is going to flop. lol. It's the same lens on my Casio EX-S500 (5MP) and even then, quality was decent but you can tell that the sensor and lens was too small. Now, that lens is back with SR + 12MP on its shoulders. Oh my.

I hope their PR and R&D folks do browse this forum and others.

-Stop rehashing old models every PMA interval. If you need more time to make a new model that's fresh and groundbreaking, use it!
-Use a 1/1.8" sensor or larger
-Drop the MP count <10MP.
-Optimize DR and noise reduction efficiency and quality
-use a bigger lens already and try to go wide (28mm)!